Chapter 27

Chapter 27 (Gustave's POV)

I paced back and forth in my music room as Elaina sat in the armchair.

"Children?" I asked. "My father is taking in children?"

"What's wrong with that?" Elaina retorted.

"Have you met my father?"

Elaina rolled her eyes. "So, yes, he is a little dark and has a short temper, but if he's doing something good for these children then what's so wrong with that?"

"They're children!"

"That's not pointing out anything, Gustave."

"But... but... Ugh!" I sat down at the piano and pouted.

Elaina stood and put her hands on my shoulders. She began to rub out the knots that had begun to emerdge. "Are you sure that you're not just jealous?"

"Jealous? Elaina, don't be absurd. Why would I be jealous?"

"Well, because you're his only child."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

She sighed. "Nothing I guess. I just remember when my younger sister came along that I was terribly jealous."

"You were a child then."

"Yes, I was very young, but you're a child as well. You're your father's son. That makes you his child."

I huffed in defeat. "Alright, I suppose that I may be just a bit jealous. It's just that it seems like he's trying to replace me since I moved out."

Elaina sat at the piano beside me. "Gustave, baby, he's never going to be able to replace you."

I looked down and studied my hands. "He may not be able to, but it sure seems like that's what he's trying to do."

"Now, Gustave, please be reasonable for five minutes," she said. She took her hand and lifted my chin so I would look at her. "He can't replace you because you're his son. You're his flesh and blood. No one can replace that. He, quite literally, has a piece of you in his heart. That can't be replaced by some poor children that need some attention. Will he love those children? Yes, he probably will, but that doesn't mean he loves you any less. He would do anything for you. He'd probably even kill."

I laughed to myself at that comment. She had no idea what my father was really capable of.

I leaned in and kissed her gently. "You always know just what to say, my love."

She blushed. "I try."

I began to pick out a tune on my piano. Elaina cuddled into my side.

"Would you sing for me please?" she asked with pleading eyes.

I chuckled. "I thought that you were supposed to sing for me."

"Oh, Gustave, I've been singing all morning. Your father wouldn't cut me a break."

I smiled and began to sing something quiet. She closed her eyes and leaned her head on my shoulder. By the time I had finished my song, she was sound asleep. It had, after all, been a rather tiring morning, and Elaina's first performance had been last night. She had been out late signing people's marquees, and she had to get up early the next morning for her lesson with my father.

I took her up in my arms very carefully so she wouldn't wake. I carried her to the spare bedroom down the hall and placed her gently on the mattress. I carefully unpinned the hat from her hair and pulled a quilt up over her. I sat in the armchair in the corner for a little while just to watch her sleep. A pure look of contentment was written on her face. She would probably wake up later and have questions as to how she ended up in the bedroom, but that could wait until later.