Chapter Eleven

It finally happened.

  I was finally sick of my old story and ready to start a whole new one. It was my curse, really; the thing that held me back from going all in for the writing career. I would start a story and get a few chapters in when, suddenly, I found myself repulsed by the idea of finishing it. Where the heck was my old story going, anyway? Well, I didn’t know. That was the problem.

  I’d considered the mansion being haunted, but that seemed too cliché. I considered Kelsie getting with the no name gardener, but that seemed cliché and also a bit hypocritical, being as though I didn’t write romance. So, really, I had tried creating a great black abyss of nothing.

  Today I was trying to start anew. But everything I came up with seemed stupid. With a heavy sigh, I gave up on trying, knowing inspiration would strike sooner or later.

  It was late and Leander was throwing another of his infamous parties, which meant my mom was out with Alaric.

  What made me do it? Well, I was blaming it on inspiration.

  I ran back into my room, curled my hair with my curling wand—I didn’t know the specific name for the thing; I just called it my wand—put on some serious eye-popping makeup, and dug in my closet for sexy-ish clothes. All I came up with was a purple mini skirt and a black tank top. Being the coward in leg showage that I was, I decided on black leggings. And being a non heel girl, I opted for my black ballet flats. Stylish, right?

  But, surprisingly enough, I was satisfied with my thrown together look. It was simple, yet cute.

  I didn’t call Sawyer, mostly because I knew he was busy. Something about a previous engagement? I had already forgotten. I just had to hope Maddie was there, or that I could be confident enough to stand alone sober.

  Like always, crappy music was playing and mostly everyone was intoxicated. I walked in hesitantly, wondering why I was going in alone. I had gone alone the first time, though, and came out with two friends. So that was something.

  I wasn’t here to make friends, though. I was here to get inspired. Though I didn’t know just how to do that, I was pretty open to anything.

  A few people bumped into me with sloppy and “heart felt” apologies. I brushed it off and headed to the drinks.

  When I saw who else was there, with his posse, I immediately turned to go. Unfortunately, this wasn’t the best place to be, as everyone was there. It was almost like they were blocking my way, which was ridiculous, of course.

  “Hollywood?” the man of the hour called after me.

  I cringed before turning around with my best poker face.

  He laughed, like he was so hilarious. Maybe he didn’t realize no one was saying anything funny. “Care for a drink?”

  I shook my head. “No, thanks.” I turned again to try and get out of that room.

  “Aw, c’mon!” A second later, Leander caught up to me, catching my arm. “I’m being civil, see?”

  I looked him over. Yeah, I think he was beyond civil, what with his eyes glazed over and that silly grin on his face. “I can see that. Jeeze, man, how much have you had to drink?”

  He waved me off and offered me a blue cup. “Enough that you gotta catch up to me.”

  I pushed the cup away. “I said no thanks.”

  “Aw, Hollywood.” He got real close. What was it with drunk people and personal boundaries? “I’m tryin’ to be nice.”

  I sighed. “It’s not about you, okay? I just don’t want one. Thanks.”