XVI; petals

Lotus

It's been days, weeks, almost a month since the last time I talked to Hayes. He handed in the project, we presented it together, but that was the last bit of "contact" we've had.

I still think about what he told me. I keep it to myself, but I respect everyone that kept it from me in the first place.

Everyone hates McKenna. She didn't even do anything wrong, and now that I know the truth, what do I do? Do I just let it go?

Hayes wants me to let it go. I don't know what to do. Everything is so sad and confusing.

It's lunch, and I'm sitting at Audrey's table, but I'm not talking. Her and her friends are laughing, and smiling.

"Lotus." Someone pokes me, and Audrey sighs. "Is everything okay?"

"Do you guys know who McKenna is?" I asked, and it almost seemed like the whole lunch room got silent.

"We don't talk about her." Audrey whispered.

"But do you know what happened to her?" I asked, and Reagan shook her head.

"She was in a drunk driving accident. It's her fault, but Hayes was devastated." She said, and I stopped pushing the topic.

The lunch bell rang, and I went to my locker. Hayes was leaning against it, and when he noticed me he seemed to perk up.

"Hi." He said. "I didn't think you'd be here."

"At my locker?" I said, and he frowns.

"Uh, yeah." He notices how dumb he's being. "What's up?"

"Why are you here, Hayes?" I asked, killing the small talk fast.

"Lotus, we need to talk." He said.

"You need time, Hayes." I told him, and he rolled his eyes.

"You sound just like everyone else." He shook his head.

"You want me to be like everyone else, in case you forgot. You want me to be anyone else besides her." I told him, and he moved aside for me to open my locker.

"You don't have to be like her. You can be you." He smiles a little.

"Okay, and then what? You tell me you don't want to see me again because I look like her? I can't be there for you every time you miss her." I ball my hands into fists. "You're just mad at everyone else so you take it out on me. How does that make any sense? I've been there for you since day one and I seem to be the only one that knows the truth."

"Lotus, stop."

"No. Listen to me, Hayes! Do you understand that this is the first conversation we've had in weeks? Then you talk to me like nothing ever happened?" I said, and I shut my locker.

"You need to think about what you want before you talk to me again, because I know that McKenna is important to you, but am I? We kissed and you liked it but does that mean anything to you?" I sighed. "I'll see you later."

I was more confused than ever. Walking away from him was hard, but it's the right thing to do. Hayes doesn't know what he wants. I don't even know what I want.

Do I want him?

He's so secretive. It took him around two months to tell me about McKenna. He's stubborn, yet caring. Awkward, yet mysterious.

I just don't know him as well as I think I do.

❁ ❁ ❁

Two weeks later

"Have a good day." I tell the last costumer.

As soon as they leave, I take my apron off, take a final walk around the shop to check everything, and lock it up.

I go up the fire escape, and there is a trail of flower petals, going up the ladder.

I sigh, having a gut feeling this has something to do with Hayes, and I follow the path. It goes up the ladder, and on to the rooftop.

Hayes is sitting on the ground, exactly where the petals stop, and I sigh.

"This isn't the bachelor." I said, and he laughed.

"Actually this is more of an apology." He said, and giving me a rose.

"I shouldn't have led you on like that." He starts. "I'm sorry. I really do like you, but if you couldn't tell I'm not completely over McKenna."

"I figured." I said.

"You deserve someone better than me. Someone who would actually treat you the way you're supposed to be treated." He sighs. "You don't need someone like me hurting you again."

There was a long pause. I know where this was going next, but we were both too scared to say it.

"I think we should be friends."

~.~
A/N: I wanted to start out by saying I AM SO SORRY. Over the last 2 months I've been really stressed out with school, work, and sports and I had no idea how to balance it. I was failing a class and put all my focus on bringing that grade up. I'm such a shitty person and I'm so sorry for that. You guys didn't deserve that. I will try to get more chapters up in the mean time to make up for lost time. I just have to write them! Other than that, thanks for everyone's patience. I love you all so much and I'm so thankful to have you guys reading my stories.

P.S. Has anyone played Hollywood days with Hayes yet? I just started :)