Chap 1: Don't Get Caught

Bill swung his legs over the edge of his small cot, hoping not to wake his brother across the room. He rifled through a pile of clothes and found a warmer shirt and pants to fight the night chill outside. Will coughed in his sleep causing Bill to freeze in place, cloak barely off the ground. His movements slowly as to keep the silence but his attempts to leave were disrupted by a hoarse voice.

"Bill? Where are you going?" Will was barely awake and his eyes stayed half-lidded as he stared at his brother.

"I'm just going out for a bit. I'll be home by sunrise" Bill responded confidently.

Will's eyes trailed down to a leather bag in Bill's hand as the blond tried to hide it within his cloak. He coughed again, trying to sit up slightly. "Please tell me you're not going to steal again. I told you I don't need the medicine."

Bill pulled up his hood. "Yes you do, we've been over this Will, you're not going to get any better without them." He stepped towards the door, giving one last look to Will who was shuffling over with the blanket trailing behind.

"Bill this isn't just borrowing anymore-" a cough forced its way out of his lungs, "you're going to get caught and executed." His brows furrowed and his forehead wrinkled.

Bill only sighed and took his brothers shoulders, leading him backwards back into his bed. "Will I'll be fine. No one has caught me yet and they won't catch me." Will sat on his bed, looking up at Bill. "We'll be living like kings darling, just you wait." He smiled stupidly and pulled the blanket from his bed and draped it over Will. As he opened the door he heard a violent hacking from his brother. He gave a side glance to see a splotch of red on the pillow next to Will's mouth and forced his legs to carry him out the door.

The trip to the castle was quick with the little amount of people bustling in the streets. No one paid much attention to the blond as he entered through the servant's quarters of the castle and dashed silently up the stairway to the King's room. Guards stood outside but would wander about or get caught up in a conversation with each other.

Bill had been watching them for a week now and knew their routines by heart. When the guards switched they met in the corridor a bit away from the chambers so not to wake the king with their talking. They didn't pay much attention to the door or the hallway Bill was hiding in now so he could slip in, steal what he needed, and slip out the window. Hopefully the landing buffer he had made a few nights ago was still there.

With the cover of darkness protecting him, Bill took his chance when the guards were talking to slip into the chambers with ease. Too easy, he thought with a smirk.

Gazing around the room he noticed it was very cluttered. Papers were strewn about on the table and the floor around it, with quills and inkwells spilt around. Besides the desk everything was decently neat but there was just a lot of items. Books piled on a bookcase, seeming to be ordered by genre, clothes hanging and folded in and on a wardrobe by the wall, and the bed was neatly made. Or it would have been if not for the king sleeping in it and messing it up.

He slept in a much less elegant way than he appeared to the public. His brown hair was sprayed across the pillow and the blankets were wrinkled around him. Bill took uneasy steps to get a better look, entranced by the king.

He had never had this close a look, from staying away from or to the far back of any community thing with the king involved. He had never noticed the worry lines on his king's forehead, or the way his hair curled slightly at the end, giving him a halo of sorts. He was much cleaner than Bill had thought he'd be as well.

A blush spread across the young criminals face as he realized how long he'd been staring at the king. He shook his head and walked over to the bureau where the gold and jewels were hanging and lying about. He rifled through them, hoping the sound wouldn't wake the man sleeping less than five feet away. Bill took some pieces, necklaces, rings, things that didn't seem like they'd be missed very much, and placed them in his satchel.

He was about to shimmy out the window when something caught his eye. The moonlight streaming through the window glinted on something gold under the King's royal cape. Bill placed his bag down in front of the window and carefully walked over, stepping over various papers and objects scattered around. He lifted the cape to find his majesty's crown.

The crowns jewels glistened in the moon, casting light spots about the ceiling and walls. The gold was heavy in his hands, leaving him to wonder how the king wore it everyday. Rubies decorated the base, leaving an emerald to sit in the front, big and bold. It must be his everyday kind of crown, Bill thought to himself as he fiddled with it in his hands. He had seen the real crown at the coronation ceremony; it was bigger with much more velvet and fur.

An idea struck Bill making his breath catch. He could steal the crown and sell it for more money than his and Will's life was worth. It would pay for the medicine Will needed, and maybe even cure him. The crown would definitely be noticed if it suddenly went missing overnight, but if he could get home quick enough and get them both out of the kingdom and into another then they'd be home free. It was foolproof! Or at least it was before he heard something beside him.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" It was a strong voice he had heard many times throughout the years, one of power and command. It was the king.

He was up and standing in front of Bill with a stern glare and a dagger in his hand, ready to attack if needed. He no longer looked peaceful, and his hair no longer looked like a halo around him. Now he was the king, standing in front of a criminal trying to steal his crown, wearing only a pair of pants and a light shirt.

His voice boomed again, this time more threatening. "I'll repeat, what the hell do you think you're doing?" His hand griped the dagger a bit tighter and his jaw clenched.

Bill was dumbfounded. He could only stand there holding the crown like an idiot.

The king sighed and his worry lines got deeper. His voice rang out through the chambers, "guards! Guards!" The sound of metal feet clanged against the stone floors and the doors crashed open as the same guards from earlier rushed in with swords drawn. "Take care of this thief and have him tried under my rule tomorrow afternoon." He was very authoritative as he lowered the dagger and let the guards take Bill hastily, causing the crown to clatter to the ground.

"W-wait! I just needed money for medicine!" Bill cried as they dragged him away, kicking and screaming. His mind finally computing what was happening. He told Will he would be back by sunrise. Without the medicine he could die by next week. "Please! At least drop my bag at my house! My brother needs it!" He yelled at anyone who was listening. While he was being dragged away he saw a woman that looked similar to the king rushing to his quarters. It must be his sister, Bill thought as he watched her run, hiking her dress up to get it out of the way. As soon as they met the king he gave her a hug, assuring words to calm her.

The guards dragged Bill down to the dungeons and threw him into a cell. The floor was damp and the cold seeped into his bones as he curled into the corner shivering. The guards slammed the door, leaving Bill in the dark except for a small window too high up to reach. The only thoughts on his mind were of Will sleeping at home, waiting for his brother to come home.