Surprises All Over the Place

As the halfway point in my pregnancy quickly approached, we were getting more and more excited.

I had missed my last appointment with the OB because August was sick but we had rechecked today. I'm 17 weeks and 1 day, and today we get to find out the gender.

"Chris are you ready?" I ask loudly from the bathroom.

"I've been ready." He says, coming into the bathroom where I've been doing my makeup.

I pull a sweater over my head, groaning when I realize that it doesn't fit anymore.

I grab a t-shirt from the drawer and pull it on, happy when it fits.

Chris pulls me tight against his body and kisses me softly.

"How's my girl?" He asks.

"Excited." I say, "How about you?"

"I can't wait." He says. "But I already know it's going to be a girl."

"I don't know about that." I say, picking August up, along with his favorite toy.

"It's going to be a girl." He says, smiling when August reaches for him.

August plays with the little toy car, running it over Chris's shoulders and chest and imitating a cars noises.

Just as we're about to leave my phone rings, it's my lawyer.

"Hello." I say, answering the phone.

"Is this Ms. Mariska Hargitay?" The young man asks.

"This is she." I say confused.

"Please hold for Counselor Christo." He says.

"Who is it?" Chris mouths.

"My lawyer." I whisper.

Chris looks confused and I shake my head, not knowing what it's about.

"Ms. Hargitay." My lawyer says, sounding grim.

"Hi Matt, I wasn't expecting your call." I say, concerned.

"I was hoping I wouldn't have to make this call." He says.

"What's this about?" I ask.

"Peter has served his mandatory 60 days and payed the fine and he was released this morning." He says, "And he wants visitation with August."

"You told him no right?" I ask, sitting down on the couch.

"Yes, I reminded him of the order and the deal in place." He says, "But the family court judge was lenient."

"You went to court this morning?" I ask.

"Yes." He says, "Your presence wasn't needed because we were just there to argue the petition and I already had your direct order."

"I understand that." I say, "Do I need to be in court anytime soon?"

"Unfortunately no." He says.

"That sounds like good news." I say hopefully.

"I'm afraid it's not." He says, "Peter was granted visitation rights. The first visitation is today."

"Today?!" I ask.

"Yes, in an hour." He says.

The tears start to roll down my cheeks and Chris puts his arm around me.

"But you do have options regarding the visitations." Matt says.

"Like what?" I ask.

"You can choose to be present or have a social worker there, you can also request that the social worker be there with the both of you." He says, "And the meeting may be held at your apartment our the one that you used to share together. But I do need that information now."