17 Long Hours

The doctor pulls an ultrasound machine in and she rolls the thin gown up over my belly.

Dr. O'Hara starts the ultrasound.

"In a birth at 33 weeks there's two major things we're concerned about." She says, "One is the weight and the second is the lung function. The more the baby weighs the more likely it is to have improved lung function."

She finishes the ultrasound but is still looking at her computer.

"This is amazing news." She says, "Your daughter is weighing in just below 5 and 1/2 pounds. Don't get me wrong, 5 1/2 pounds is small but we see babies born at 36 weeks weighing in at 5 1/2."

I wrap my arms around Chris, so happy to hear that.

"Now, Ms. Hargitay, this is your first child, correct?" She asks looking at the chart, "We didn't get a history when you came in."

"No, I have one son, he's almost 2." I say.

"And you delivered him vaginally?" She asks.

"No, he was an emergency C section." I say, "I went over my due date and he was breech."

"Alright, as of now your daughter is in the perfect position, but we'll check as your labor progresses to make sure she stays that way." She says kindly.

"After I have the baby, how long will we be here?" I ask.

"The standard for any baby born before 35 weeks is 72 hours, longer if there are any complications." She says.

She leaves Chris and I alone.

"Baby, what you were saying earlier." I say, sitting up, "I want to finish that conversation."

"Baby, that can wait." He says kindly.

"Just listen, Chris." I say, "I think the reason I never thought about having more than August was because I was married to Peter. And then I was pregnant. It really honestly hasn't even crossed my mind in the time that we've been together that we might want more than 4."

"Okay," He says, "And now what are you thinking?"

"I think I really do want more kids." I say tentatively.

Chris wraps his arms around me and kisses my forehead.

"I love you, Mariska." He says.

He pulls away as his phone rings.

It's Tamara. He answer and puts the call on speakerphone.

"Tamara, is everything okay?" He asks.

"Everything's fine, but you said Sherman was coming to get Sophia and Dante at noon?" She asks.

"Yeah, why?" I ask.

"She didn't show, I still have the kids." Tamara says.

"Okay, I'll call her, thanks." He says.

Chris hangs up and shakes his head.

"I'm gonna take this one outside." He says kissing my forehead, "I'll be right back."

I throw my hair up into what I'm sure is an extremely messy bun but I can't make myself care.

Chris comes back in and he's deep in thought.

"Uhh, Sherman went back to LA. She said she won't be back until the day after New Years. She didn't say anything about the kids. So I guess that means we have them." He says, running a hand over his face.