Chapter 1

Fear is both a powerful and primitive human emotion. It alerts us to the presence of danger but can also hold one back in a situation in which danger is present. Fear can actually be divided into two stages, biochemical and emotional. The biochemical response is universal, while the emotional response is highly individualized. Biochemical Reaction: When we confront a perceived danger, our bodies respond in specific ways. Physical reactions to fear include sweating, increased heart rate and high adrenaline levels. This physical response is sometimes known as the “fight or flight” response, in which the body prepares itself to either enter combat or run away. Emotional Response: The emotional response to fear is highly personalized. Some people are adrenaline junkies, thriving on extreme sports and other fear-inducing thrill situations. Others have a negative reaction to the feeling of fear, avoiding fear-inducing situations at all costs. Although the physical reaction is the same, fear may be perceived as either positive or negative.

Leaning back in my chair, I pushed my textbook away from me. I placed my head into my hands and let out a frustrated groan. This is taking up way to much of my time. I seriously better pass these exams. Deciding it was time for a snack, I got up to make my way for the kitchen.

 “Hey honey,” my mother piped cheerily, chopping away at vegetables for dinner. “How’s the studying going?”

 “It’s going alright I guess,” I sighed once more, moving to the pantry. “I’m almost finished on human emotions.”

 “That’s good,” she said encouragingly. “Just try not to work yourself too hard.”

“I’ll try,” I replied, shooting a weak smile at my mother. Tucking a package of cookies behind my arm, I closed the pantry door so I could head back to my room.

 “Oh honey!” my mother called when I reached the foot of the stairs. “I know you have to study but can you please pick up your sister from Sarah’s house?”

 “When do you want me to pick her up?” I answered sullenly, knowing I won't have a say in the matter anyway.

 “In about twenty minutes if that’s ok. Thank you!”

 “Yeah, whatever. I need a break anyhow." Veering away from the stairs, I walked into the lounge and sat on the couch. Stealing the remote from my younger brother, who was playing contented with his toys on the ground, I turned on the television. Flipping through the channels, I settled on a rerun an action show that was clearly in the middle of a fight scene. Right before the hero was about to redeem himself, the show was interrupted by a news report. "I'm Natasha Fields and this is a special news report. About two in the morning last night, there was a prison uproar that resulted in an escape of eight convicts. Authorities are looking into the matter and are warning everyone to lock your doors and stay inside as much as possible until the situation is handled. Now we've got Sergeant Berkley telling us more about it." The news went to an officer with brown hair who looked to be in about his forties. "I'm Sergeant Berkley,” the man said, introducing himself after clearing his throat. “Around two last night, an estimate of eight convicts escaped from Thornberry Prison." The screened flashed from the officer’s hard eyes to some of the inmates that escaped. "We advise for everyone to stay indoors. We don't know the current whereabouts to the prisoners. They are extremely dangerous, so again, please stay indoors and don't leave your house by yourself." The news went back to Natasha Fields. Turning off the television, I went to go look for my mother. "Hey Mum?" I called, poking my head out of the lounge.

 "Still In the kitchen sweetie," she answered. I gave my brother a rub on the head before turning back to walk into the kitchen.

 "Did you hear about the people who escaped from the prison?” I asked, scanning the key rack for my keys.