Chapter Three - The LIS

‘’What is it?’’ I question as Aaron steps forward.

‘’It seems to be some sort of campsite,’’ he suggests, ‘’I guess this is where we’ll be sleeping.’’

‘’We’re sleeping outside?’’ questions Eve with a gasp of disgust, ‘’as in, actually outside?’’

‘’No, the fake outside,’’ mutters Kate under her breath to my left and I grin at her.

I glance around the area we are in; this is the brown section on our maps. It is what seems to be an abandoned camp ground. There is no grass in this area, it is just dirt – the grass has clearly been worn away. There is a blackened patch on the ground in the centre, where I assume a fire once burned. Surrounding the fire pit are logs – that obviously acted as seating.

There are large trees towering on wide side of us, and an opening on the other – the opening gives us a clear view of what could be approaching from the North, the red team won’t be able to sneak up on us that easily. The clearing is quite shaded, as the thick trees block out most of the sun’s light.

‘’Surely we can’t be expected to sleep on the dirt,’’ says Eve in a mix of shock and disgust.

‘’We were given sleeping bags,’’ I point out.

‘’I didn’t bring mine,’’ she replies, ‘’the bag was heavy enough as it was!’’

As she says this, the rest of us stop what we are doing and just look from each other to her in complete and utter shock, hoping that somehow, some way she is joking and not completely thick.

‘’Are you serious?’’ asks Kate, biting her lip to prevent a smile breaking across her face.

‘’What’s so funny?’’ yells Eve, advancing on Kate.

‘’Nothing, nothing,’’ smirks Kate, standing her ground to the posh brat squaring up to her.

‘’Eve, you can share mine with me if you want,’’ suggests Robbie, clearly taking this opportunity to come onto the girl.

Eve mutters something under her breath but doesn’t answer Robbie. She drags her bag along the ground to one of the logs and sits down; opening up her lunchbox once again and fishing out the final sandwich she has.

‘’I wouldn’t eat that if I was you,’’ advises Aaron, however Eve ignores him and begins chewing it anyway.

‘’Just ignore her, she’s probably just acting for the cameras,’’ I assure, Aaron shrugs his shoulders.

‘’I bloody hope that’s acting, or I honestly have lost all faith in the human race,’’ adds Kate and the three of us crack smiles.

‘’Maybe we should take a break and have a bite to eat. It’s been a long day so far,’’ suggests Aaron.

We join Eve around the empty fire pit, taking out our food and eating it sparingly. Nobody eats more than a single sandwich, we pace ourselves – eating slowly to ensure we fill up quicker. Nobody is going to make the same mistake Eve did and eat it all in one go; she will regret it in a few hours time when she’s starving and has nothing left.

‘’So what’s the plan Aaron?’’ questions Kate, sitting to my left whereas Aaron is to my right on the quite uncomfortable log.

‘’I’d say we split up; half of us stay here collecting fire wood and looking for a water source to fill our bottles whilst the other half go scouting. If they could find the LIS and just check it out, it might make things easier for us when we get a letter,’’ he suggests.