Chapter Fifteen - Promises you can't keep

As the hand remains clamped over my mouth, I thrash frantically about. I may not be able to scream, but I can sure as hell try to break free. I wriggle about crazily, shaking my arms and legs and lowering my centre of gravity to try loosen my captor’s grip on me. I have never been claustrophobic, but I hate this. I hate this feeling of helplessness.

Then a thought pops into my head. I once read somewhere that if you are approached and grabbed from behind; you should force yourself backwards to try knock the person off balance. It had been in some self defence book implying woman weren’t able to defend themselves, I guess it was worth my time to read the paragraph I did before putting it down.

I act immediately, driving my heels into the ground and forcing my back into the chest of my captor. Instantly, myself and the person that has me in their grip begin to fall backwards and just a second later we are on the ground. We land hard, and as we hit the forest floor, the grip loosens around me. I pull myself free.

 I turn so I am kneeling on top of the chest of my captor and I begin to bring my hands towards their throat. I am just about to call out for Kate and Jack, however I stop.

‘’Aaron?’’ I gasp, in both shock and anger.

 He smirks at me.

‘’What the fu-‘’ I begin but I am interrupted by his chuckling.

‘’I was just seeing if you were able to defend yourself, do you know how stupid it was to come out here alone?’’ he asks and I cock an eyebrow at him.

‘’You can talk! You cleared off across the island to find food; I walked a few meters to pee.’’

‘’I’m more capable of fighting the opposing team than you are,’’ he explains.

‘’Don’t get cocky.’’

‘’You know what I mean,’’ he replies.

I get to my feet and outstretch an arm to pull him up from the ground. He takes it and I help him to his feet.

‘’You’re pulse is going ninety,’’ he notes with a grin.

‘’You scared me, as bloody expected!’’ I explain.

He just smiles weakly.

Why was that even necessary?’’ I ask.

‘’To teach you a lesson,’’ he begins, ‘’you shouldn’t be out here alone. What if I had been Alex?’’

‘’So what? I overpowered you; he’s weaker than you are. I had you exactly where I wanted you, you’re lucky I didn’t take out my knife.’’

‘’Lucky, eh?’’ he repeats with a small smirk.

‘’Stop smiling! I’m serious,’’ I scorn and look to his bag, ‘’please say you caught something.’’

‘’Of course I have something,’’ he replies and we begin heading back to camp, ‘’I wouldn’t have come back empty handed.’’

‘’Why didn’t you take me with you?’’ I ask.

‘’You needed sleep,’’ he explains.

‘’I’m fine,’’ I respond, ‘’I’d prefer to be out there with you.’’

‘’I’m no expert on the complexities of the female mind, but I’m pretty sure that when a girl says that they are fine, it means the polar opposite.’’

‘’Normally it does,’’ I explain with a weak smile, ‘’but not in this case. I meant I was fine with the amount of sleep I got.’’

‘’You can never get enough sleep. It’s good for the mind; it helps your brain and body relax.’’