Chapter 6: Confessions of a Dying Cabbie

*Sherlock's POV*

Sherlock opens the front door and stands on the doorstep, while he shrugs himself into his coat. The cabbie is leaning against the side of his parked taxi. "Taxi for Sherlock 'olmes." He stated. Sherlock shuts the door and steps forward. "I didn't order a taxi." Sherlock replied. "Doesn't mean you don't need one." said the cabbie.

"You're the cabbie. The one who stopped outside Northumberland Street. It was you, not your passenger." said Sherlock. "See? No one ever thinks about the cabbie. It's like you're invisible. Just the back of an 'ead. Proper advantage for a serial killer." The cabbie gloated. Sherlock takes a few more steps forward and looks up towards the windows of his flat. "Is this a confession?" He asked.

"Oh, yeah. An' I'll tell you what else: If you call the coppers now, I won't run. I'll sit quiet and they can take me down, I promise." answered the cabbie.

"Why?" Sherlock asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"Cause you're not gonna do that." said the cabbie.

"Am I not?" Sherlock said.

"I didn't kill those four people, Mr 'olmes. I spoke to 'em....and they killed themselves. An' if you get the coppers now, I promise you one thing." And the cabbie leans forward before continuing. "I will never tell you what I said."

Sherlock stares at him, after a moment the cabbie straightens up and starts to walk around the front of the cab. "No one else will die, though, and I believe they call that a result." Sherlock responded. The driver stops and turns back to face Sherlock. "An' you won't ever understand how those people died. What kind of result do you care about?" He said as he makes his way to the driver's door. He gets in and sits down and closed the door.

Biting his lip, Sherlock walks closer to the cab and bends and looks over into the open passenger side window of the cab. "If I wanted to understand, what would I do?" Sherlock asked, curiously. "Let me take you for a ride." replied the driver, turning to look at him. "So you can kill me?" asked Sherlock.
"I don't want to kill you Mr 'olmes. I'm gonna talk to yer...and the you're gonna kill yourself." The driver faces the front again as Sherlock straightens up and considers the situation.

Finally, making up his mind Sherlock opens the rear door, climbs in and slams the door shut. The cabbie starts the engine and drives off.

*(y/n)'s POV*

Upstairs, John, who has his phone held in his ear, looks out the window and see the cab drive off. "He just got in a cab." John whispered. "What?" you said, looking up from the computer screen. "It's Sherlock. He just drove off in a cab." John said again. "I told you, he does that." Donovan responded to John. You get up from your seat and glare at Donovan.

She turns to Lestrade and said "He bloody left again. We're wasting our time!"

"I'm calling the phone. It's ringing out." John said.

"If it's ringing, it's not here." Lestrade stated.

"Does it matter? Does any of it? You know, he's just a lunatic and so is she." Donovan said, pointing at you. "They will always let you down and you're wasting your time. All our time."

You growled under your breath this whole time but you can't hold back anymore. "Hey, Donovan....do us a favor and shut the hell up! If Sherlock leaves it's usually for a good reason. And usually he asks me to come along. But not this time....something is very wrong." You said as your eyes move back and forth as you think. "Ok calm down (y/n)!...Everybody we're done here." Lestrade said and the officers all leave the flat.

*Sherlock's POV*

"How did you find me?" Sherlock asked the driver. "Oh I recognized yer, soon as I saw you chasing my cab. Sherlock 'olmes! I was warned about you. I've been on your website, too. Brilliant stuff! Loved it!" exclaimed the cabbie, as he looked back at him through the rearview mirror.