Chapter 37 - Request From the King

Kastali Dun

Claire's frustration towards King Talon and their argument clawed at her heels, following her well into the next day. It remained fresh in her mind, as did her disappointment. She had been naïve to hope; King Talon's unanticipated reaction to her royal blue gown had led her to believe that an apology was in order. But no! He had not taken her into the garden to apologize. In fact, it seemed clear now that he had no intention of apologizing at all.

"You're brooding." Desaree gave Claire a gentle shove between her shoulder blades. "Still upset from yesterday?"

"I suppose." Claire glanced up.

"It does not do well to dwell," Desaree said, sounding far too wise.

Claire sighed and her frown deepened. "I just don't get it. Why is it so hard to say, 'I'm sorry' to someone?"

"We all have our weaknesses, Claire. No one is perfect—not even the king. How many mistakes have you made in your life? I have made several of note. I would guess the king has made just as many, if not more." Desaree gave Claire's hair a gentle tug and added, "Perhaps if you got to know him a little better, you might be more forgiving."

Claire snorted. She glanced up to find Desaree's eyes in the mirror's reflection. She sat at her vanity while Desaree worked on her hair. "I'm...I'm not like you, Des. You have such a kind heart and a level head when it comes to things like this. I'm way too prone to hold grudges."

Desaree barked a laugh and said, "As we each have our weaknesses, so too do we have our strengths. I may be levelheaded and kindhearted, but I'm not brave like you, or courageous. I could never have gone before the king like you did at your trial. No, I..." Desaree shuddered. "I could not have done that."

"It's just acting, Des. Most of the stuff I do is hardly courageous. In fact, a lot of it is rather stupid and dangerous, and I do it without thinking, which makes it more so. I'm surprised I'm not dead yet. But I can promise you this: I don't ever feel brave or courageous."

"But you are, as evidenced by all you have been through, your triumphs, your successes. I mean, look at you. You came from another world. You were an outsider—one who was lucky to have survived the laws of our land. Now you're royal. A transition like that...it's impressive."

"It doesn't come without its price. I mean, we both know what I have to do in the end." Claire's voice faded to a whisper and her chest tightened. It was the Promise's way of reminding her that she had a job to do.

"Yours is a heavy burden indeed," Desaree agreed. "All the more reason to forgive King Talon and move on, whether he apologizes or not. You owe it to yourself at least." Desaree paused, then said in more of a whisper, "Do not be like me—someone who spent too much time holding a grudge against Caterina. I may never heal."

Claire considered Desaree's advice. Forgiveness was probably the right thing to do, but her emotions made it difficult. She wanted to keep hating King Talon, yet, it was so exhausting. She already had enough on her plate as it was. "I'm not sure I can do it, Des. It sounds a lot easier than it is."

"Remember what I said: If you try to get to know him better, forgiveness will be easier. It's never easy at first. Will you try?" Desaree stopped fussing with Claire's hair to gaze at her in the reflection.

"I...I'll try. But I'm not making any promises. You know how I feel about him."

"Trying is better than nothing. And if you try half as well as you do at other things, then I am confident the results will be favorable. Public figures get very little privacy. There is plenty of knowledge out there about King Talon. Perhaps start there? Though, I suggest actually talking to him when the opportunity allows.