Chapter 56 - Hope

The Skies over Eigaden

Reyr extended his wings, stretching them as far as he could. It felt good to fly, to really fly. He welcomed journeys like these. In front of him, Talon's hulking black shape and Bedelth's glittering orange one soared in and out of the cool clouds scattered across the sky. He would miss them once they parted ways.

Accompanying them were twenty-four of Fort Kastali's Drengr and their Riders—more of their kind than had ever been seen in the Gable Forest. How the Sprites would love that!

Their companions had been hand selected by Talon himself. The king dared not travel without ample protection. His cargo was too precious.

Keen for fun, Reyr beat his wings against the air current and took his golden form higher and higher, breaking formation with everyone. He allowed the distance between them to build until he was circling high above like an eagle. The bodies of the Drengr and their Riders shrank into small specks. The air was emptier up here. Breathing was harder. The silence was deeper. He growled with excitement and took himself through several aerial drills. With his movements, he performed a coordinated dance with imagined foes. His true foe was the air, which gave him very little the higher he went.

When he had his fill, pushing his muscles to their limits, he descended. His breathing came in great gasps as he fought the exhaustion brought about by his efforts. It felt good to get his blood pumping. His chest suddenly tightened as a stray thought wormed its way into his mind. Even though he loved flying, loved it more than nearly everything in the world, he felt very alone in the sky. Gemma was gone...Claire was gone...

Nearly three days—three painful days—had passed since saying goodbye to Kastali Dun...and to Claire. With Bedelth and Talon as travel companions, and a large entourage to accompany, they departed the capital and flew north through the wilderness. They covered ground at a rapid rate, sleeping little, and often flying well into the night. He ached for what he left behind, but he also rejoiced for what was to come. The choice wasn't easy, but it was right. Despite this, why did he still feel like a fleeing coward?

"We will be upon the forest by nightfall." Talon's reminder sharpened his focus. He reentered the flight formation before Talon added, "The sooner we arrive, the better. Carrying these Dragon Stones puts me on edge."

"We know..." Bedelth snorted and sent smoke pouring from his nostrils. It dissipated quickly.

Everyone had felt the side-effects of Talon's burden, not just Bedelth. Since departing the capital, the king's mood had gone from tolerable, to dismal. He was prone to snapping at them when his patience tired. Everyone learned to keep a safe distance, especially the entourage from Fort Kastali.

The Stones put Talon on edge—but leaving Claire wasn't easy for him either. Talon's fondness for Dragonwall's outsider was growing, which was obvious to most, including Reyr. Perhaps part of why Talon rushed to reach the forest wasn't simply to reach the safety of the Sprites, but to hurry their journey along. The sooner the king completed his quest, the sooner he could return to Claire.

To their left, the Flat River snaked along the countryside traveling all the way to the sea. The forest, which lay directly north of them, had already manifested upon the horizon. Very soon, Reyr would break away and fly northwest to Fort Squall. While he hated to leave his king, he knew that Talon would be well protected. Assuming she found Talon's letter agreeable, Queen Jade would have a group of envoys ready to escort him and his party into the forest, to Esterpine. Reyr intended to stay at Fort Squall for an extended length of time—whatever it took to get over Claire; Talon only planned to stay with the Sprites for a week.