I Go to Sleep

[When I look up from my pillow
I dream you are there with me
Though you are far away
I know you'll always be near to me
Yeah I go to sleep
And imagine that you're there with me.]

— I Go To Sleep, Sia

How did it start?

Sasuke sighed. Then, he looked at nothing. For some reason, as he contemplated the sky from his office window, he thought of Naruto.

A knot formed in his throat. His lips shook in an involuntary way. His brow furrowed softly. The entire sequence of gestures would have been imperceptible to the uncritical eye.

How much time had passed since he was seventeen? Ten, eleven, twelve or thirteen years? He couldn't even remember anymore. Ever since Naruto was no longer at his side, he got rid of the habit of looking at all the days of the calendar. Now it was his secretary who orders his agenda. She tells him where he has to go and in which moment he has to leave to arrive on time because he no longer likes to know in which date he lives, what time it is or if he comes or goes.

Sasuke gulped. The succession of memories was a ruthless bombardment.

Sasuke knew he could narrate without problems how he once met a blond: dense, stupid, and with a heart so big that often people asked if it was normal that a human being can carry so much kindness without ending up getting hurt in the process; to say how noisy Naruto was, it was easy to measure how he could annoy people with ease when he wanted to. He was also optimistic towards adversity.

He would also mention without fault how he forgave because he was nice.

Their meeting was on a tenth of October in the morning, it doesn't matter what year.

Sasuke decided that day that going to English class was a waste of time. So he decided to simply walk in direction towards the roof. There, he could rest without anybody asking him any questions or fuck existence in search of his attention. What's certain is that when he arrived at his destination, he realized someone else had been skipping class and also thought that it was a good day to be up on the roof.

It didn't surprise him that it was precisely the one everybody labeled as a good for nothing delinquent.

It was normal for those idiots not to go to class, no?

It was Uzumaki Naruto, laying down and looking directly up at the sky. His pupils could have been reflecting the same color, but that was a mystery Sasuke could never solve. After all, if it was about precious blues, the blond's eyes seemed to compete with the sky.

At some moment, Naruto realized that there was someone else sharing the space.

"Ah... Uchiha?"

"No, I'm an illusion, Uzumaki."

"Well then, if you're an illusion, I should stop talking so I don't become crazy. And while I'm at it, I'll stop using drugs." Naruto said smoothly.

Sasuke couldn't help but think the situation was strange, no matter how you look at it. Although, he felt comforted by the blond's calmness because people of the same sex would often become uncouth when they responded in a mordant way.

"Just when one thinks you're already the worst, you come out here saying you consume drugs."

"Well, we all have different vices, you know, some with women, others with caffeine, some even more with porn and several others with studies." Naruto responded as naturally as he could. "What's certain is that mine was a joke. I swear the only strong thing I have ever taken was a narcotic when I visited the hospital and that was almost six months ago. I'm clean now, brother."