Medicine I

[Pick it up, pick it all up.
And start again.
You've got a second chance,
You could go home.
Escape it all.
It's just irrelevant.
It's just medicine
You could still be,
What you want to,
what you said you were,
When I met you.]

—Medicine, Daughter.

What happened with him?

Naruto heard a feminine voice calling him. He got out of his daydream and raised his head which he had maintained low as he lost himself in his cogitations. He found himself with his assistant, which smiled. She was a redhead with blue eyes, tall and with beautiful curves. He often heard people whisper about how incredible it was that no one had ever courted her, after all, she was an ode to beauty.

"What are you thinking of, Mister Uzumaki?" The woman asked with curiosity.

"Nothing interesting, only... I was remembering my days as an adolescent. I tended to be a walking problem. I was the type to skip classes, you know. I would go to the roof and pass long periods of time admiring the sky."

The woman smiled, such revelation didn't surprise her.  She had met her boss when they were in college and ever since then, she knew that the man was a troublemaker. She also knew immediately that he would be happy if in the future he could work with or for someone like him. So when the blond asked her to be his right hand, she didn't hesitate to follow.

With the passage of time, they became great friends. She knew Naruto had arrived to the United States to complete his education, to live with his parents and become a dignified person. If there was something that she didn't like about him because it broke her heart, it was that he always looked out into the distance, as if he yearned for something unreachable.

"Is that so?" The woman responded with a question.

"Yeah, I was headache, according to my grandmother. She used to say that the teachers always called her to accuse me of not going to class and my grades were plummeting. At the time my tan was more visible. Passing too much time shut in, reading and signing papers has damaged the color of my skin."

"You need a vacation."

"Of course I do, I've told you a million times." Naruto responded. He looked away in direction towards the window that was in his office. He closed his eyes for a few seconds. He remembered Sasuke when the sky was blue. He didn't need to count how much time had passed since he met him as he knew it better than anybody.

Thirteen hurtful years had passed ever since that encounter.

Ever since Sasuke was out of his life, he made sure to check the calendar every day, wishing to know what day he lived in, why it was that the days and hours passed without him.

Naruto knows that if they asked him about how he ended up falling in love with Sasuke Uchiha, he could tell the story right and backwards. Everything had happened in a slow manner but surely, in a sweet and sometimes sour way. Often times the events would develop naturally and other times forcedly.

Each week, Sasuke came with a new gift for Naruto. And each week, Naruto talked to him. He would give him food with horrible presentation but with good flavour. On the roof, the two would close themselves in a bubble in which nobody could enter while in a classroom, a professor dictated a class where they were nowhere to be found. Sometimes they argued, sometimes they laughed, sometimes they whispered, and other times they mostly only slept.

The sky could be grey due to the weather, or it could be orange from the sunset. Or it could be blue. And when it was blue, it was when they were most happy because it meant that it would be a good day and they could enjoy the sun. However, the color of the sky never impeded their encounters. It was like an agreement, one they never talked about, that they had to see each other to interchange gifts and converse or argue to release their stress.