Chapter 12

Chapter 12: Lupin Interlude

As Harry, Luna, Draco, and Hermione left the Great Hall after finishing breakfast, they were mobbed by witches of different ages all begging Harry for his autograph.

"Would you sign my Quibbler Harry?"

"Harry, please sign your article!"

"Could you sign my magazine, Harry?"

"Harry, could I have a kiss?"

"Oh, me too!"

"Could I take a picture with you, Harry?"

"Harry, if I take a picture, would you sign it?"

"Oh, Harry, if I make a poster sized picture, would you sign that?"

"Harry, could I have a picture of you giving me a kiss!"

"Harry, please let me have a hug. I'm in your Ancient Runes class, remember?"

Luna and Hermione were trying not to giggle, while Harry and Draco were frozen on the spot, flabbergasted. Harry was completely overwhelmed by the girls yelling and shoving. He had no idea what to do. Finally, for lack of any better idea, he turned and ran, chased by his adoring fans.

As his friends were trying to catch up to him, Dumbledore sat in his throne-like chair, desperately trying to contain his anger. Harry was destroying all of his plans. Every bit of fame Harry gained was fame he, Albus Dumbledore, no longer had. He was supposed to be the most famous wizard, not that brat!

Fuming, he left the head table, and told Remus to meet him in his office in ten minutes. Dumbledore needed a moment to calm down, to ensure he didn't do anything stupid. Remus knew the folly of being late, and, as such, knocked on the Headmaster's door precisely ten minutes later. The moment the door had closed behind him, Albus began his rant.

"That brat is ruining everything! How am I supposed to make the world believe he is unbalanced and possibly dangerous when he can write such cohesive, informative articles? Every bit of fame he gains steals some from me! I am Albus Dumbledore! I was the most famous wizard in the world before that snot-nosed braggart was even thought of!"

Remus was an expert at tuning out Dumbledore's tantrums. There had been many over the years, so he was quite used to them. The inflection of Dumbledore's voice let him know when to nod, when to scowl, and when to throw in a monosyllabic response. It really was quite simple.

"Can you believe what he's doing? He's undermining centuries of stigma, prejudice, and bigotry. How is this possible? His little Mudblood slut of a friend certainly isn't helping either. I should have made sure he was sorted into Gryffindor. He never would have been such a schemer if that had happened. Slytherin bolsters him. They never could be trusted. Why does that house even exist? The only wizards to ever oppose me publicly have come from that house. Even Grindelwald!"

Remus, growing tired of the whining, decided to intervene. "Albus, I have some good news..."

"...never did love me...What was that?" Albus stopped himself in mid sentence. Good news? Remus had good news? This he had to hear.

"Harry has accepted my offer of Patronus lessons. We will start them in November. I will be able to keep an eye on him, and I will feed him stories about Lily, James, and Sirius. I'll let him know that Black killed the Potters. He'll hate the man. Perhaps he'll even kill the man when he shows his face. It will certainly be one less thing for us to deal with."

Dumbledore smiled, something which he was certain would be impossible for several days just minutes ago. "Excellent. He'll be right where I want him. I can't have him listening to Black's story, we'll be ruined. Perhaps we'll find a way to bind his core as well. He's far too powerful already, and these lessons will be a perfect chance to accomplish something. I'll have to look into that. Well done, Remus."

Remus inclined his head, accepting the praise. "Not at all, Albus. It was your idea." He'd learned years ago that the best way to placate the great Albus Dumbledore was to compliment him.

"Well, it was a rather good idea, wasn't it, old friend."

"As are most of your ideas, Albus."

"Very well. Keep me updated on the progress of these lessons, will you?"

"Of course, Albus. Let me know if you have any other brilliant ideas." Remus stood and left the office, eager to leave before Dumbledore started on another rant. Every once in a while he wondered if he would have to put up with such ridiculous behavior if he had served Riddle. However, there was no point in dwelling on what might have been, and serving Dumbledore had served him well.