Chapter 1- At Opposite Ends (Part 1)

(The Girl's POV)

In the early summer following my junior year, I came across a rather disconcerting man. He was everything that I opposed, and yet there was an odd familiarity between us. It's hard to define our relationship, but certainly we were simply strangers in the beginning.

He had no knowledge of my background, family, or even my name. The same goes for me as well. We both prefered to keep it that way. One of his respectable traits was how he doesn't meddle in other people's lives. However, I also found that to be one of his more frustrating attributes. Though, when it comes to getting involved with other people, I don't have much to say. Since I was little, I've always preferred being alone. Those around me never seemed to understand that at all. Due to their lack of open mindedness, I've been bothered with their over friendliness numerous of times. Certainly, not all of them were like that. As time passed, people approached me simply because of my status.

My family runs a fairly well-known conglomerate business, which allowed us to afford a few luxuries. Whenever this information was leaked, people flocked around, hoping to get some benefits. Once I've made it clear that I would never let them take advantage of me, their kind words turned cold in an instant. Admiration towards my family's wealth changed to envy, and their greed tried to devour me. But I've grown used to their antagonistic feelings to the point where they can no longer reach me. It seemed quite ridiculous how they directed their discontent towards me, when really it's my father's wealth and power.

But one of the luxuries given to me was a personal driver. It was because of this driver that I was able to meet that man.

During that summer, my father took over a hotel at a boardwalk. So to celebrate, a family reunion would take place. Since my relatives were scattered all over the country, they were to arrive at different times. However, my cousins came to my house one night, a few days before the reunion. Their early appearance created a ripple in my plans to go to the hotel on my own. Personally, I'm not close with any of my relatives. It's not that shocking, considering how I haven't seen any of them for the past five years. Additionally, there was quite an age gap between my cousins and me. At that time, I was seventeen years old, and the two of them were in their mid-twenties. Because the two were similar in age, they seemed to get along well despite living in separate areas. As for me, there was no significant connection that allowed me to bond with any of my relatives in general. We were strangers with an established relationship.

Due to these notions, I wanted to arrive and leave on the day of the reunion. Sensing my intentions, my father quietly disapproved me of arriving later than everyone else. There was a pride as the head of the household he wanted to protect; one that I threatened. He commanded me to accompany my cousins. For a short moment, my cousins hesitated before displaying their forced eagerness. At the same time, I stood lifelessly, suffocated from my father's lack of trust and his arbitrary worries. As soon as I was about to protest for them, my mother encouraged me. Her tender promises of how enjoyable spending time with my cousins would be made me lose hope right away. I understood that arriving later would show my lack of filial piety, which evidently reflects my father's parenting.

I did as he said without a single word of objection.

The hour-long ride there was excruciatingly stifling. In my family's black Lexus, one of my cousins, Miranda Phillips demonstrated her imperious nature. She authoritatively took the passenger seat and took it upon herself to control the radio. At first, I was too confused to actually express any discontent. This type of rude manner she flaunted so shamelessly was incredibly foreign to me. The blaring music drowned my first request for her to lower the volume. Though, I suspected that a couple of my words reached her; Miranda responded by planting her bare feet above the air bag.