Chapter 10: Farore Aggagol

The river water fell from Bambi Hayline's braid as she wrung it. The droplets trickled down, touched the surface, and made a soft plunking sound. A coolness swept through her body beginning at her spine, making her shiver. Through the reflection she studied her sun-touched face. Now, after washing, she looked so clean. She spun to see Makua watching her. His freshly wet hair stood on end, drew attention to the alarm in his eyes even more. He feigned disinterest and looked away.

"You kids ready to move again? We should try to make it to the bridge by nightfall."

Bambi watched their new companion with great interest. Farore was mostly just legs underneath a tightly shaped torso and angular face. Those silky long things crossed over one another as she walked, appeared to Bambi like a strut. Her golden hair flicked specks of water in every direction. Farore bent over, rustled her mane as she dried her hair more thoroughly. Bambi wanted to dislike her for how girly and yet perfect she was, but she couldn't. She had saved them and that meant the world right now.

"Or do you need some time?" Farore moved to the edge of the river and looked at Bambi expectantly.

She flushed. "Oh, no. I'm all finished."

"Since none of you have any water Pokémon or Flyers we will have to do it the old-fashioned way." Farore shrugged. "Of course that's the way I always do it."

"I have a water Pokémon." Makua said.

Farore spun, took in the boy's solemnity.

"Oh, right. I meant one that can carry us down this river."

Bambi felt pity for Makua as he considered the Pokeball in his hand.
Farore nodded as though giving permission.

He rolled it around, then tossed it into the water, said, "Go, Pretty!"

The yellow carp emerged from the Pokeball, slithered into the water.

"Your Feebas' name is Pretty?" Farore gave Makua a questioning look.

"Yes. I really love my Feebas. It starts off weak but can evolve into one of the strongest Pokémon . . . Milotic."

"Do you think your . . . Feebas is . . . pretty?"

"Well, not really, but that's the way a Feebas evolves—if its beauty levels are high."

"So you thought by naming it that, it might feel . . ."

Bambi sensed the awkwardness between Farore and Makua, the difference between experience and being well read. Makua didn't answer.

Feebas surfaced. "Feebas!"

She didn't understand the beauty level thing. "How does a Pokémon get high beauty levels?"

Makua approached the river, held his hand out for Bambi to return to the bank. "There are a few different theories but having competition is one way for a Pokémon to place itself in the spectrum."

Bambi grabbed Makua's hand, allowed him to lead her in. "Cool. Battle experience."

"Not just battle experience," Makua said. "Actual beauty contests and giving it gifts and things like that."

Bambi unrolled her jeans, covered her legs again, and slipped her feet into her boots. She adjusted her braid, grabbed from the pile of bananas Makua had picked that morning. Rays of sunlight fell on her, melting the drops of water covering her body.