Chapter 20: Yumin's Delivery

Talk is for the Pidgey. As much as Yumin wanted to know what Hawk had to say about his road to success and slew of perversions and betrayals, he had to excuse himself of what he guaranteed himself would be an otherwise good time. Pokémon that can't be healed? Stiff coated men and nurses with fake lips and eyebrows? Silence so sickening you can hear it break your spine if you breathe the wrong way? No way, man.

Yumin remembered what the Viterals had done to him, and staying any longer meant there was a chance it could happen again. He clenched his fists, the scars reviving on his skin from the window he punched to escape. They left the Center without another word, through the same way Farore had come, and in much the same fashion.

"Where's Bambi?" It was the first question out of Yumin's mouth once he and Farore were safely on his Braviary, flapping into the sky and high enough away that the Pikachu's strikes of lightning could not reach them. Lyres and Makua flew atop Skarmory behind them.

"We're staying in a warehouse. It's heavily guarded. I slipped away to see what was happening at the Zone."

"How did you find us?"

"Pure chance," Farore said, lifting her hand to swipe the hair out of her face. "I saw the three of you walking together after I slipped out this morning. You're pretty different from the rest of the guys around here."

"Is she okay?"

"She's fine. What happened to you guys?"

Between powerful gusts of wind and under barely audible conditions, Yumin told her. He could trust her. If she had been protecting Bambi this whole time, she was trustworthy.

"That's terrible!" She said. "What are they playing at?"

It was the question of the year. Everyone had his or her guess. Between Yumin and Uncle Durin, the Viterals wanted to monopolize Pokémon, but in a very different way than the Rockets. During their quick and decisive ascent to power, the Viterals had taken drastic measures in order to ensure what they wanted. The biggest and most devastating blow was controlling all the Pokémon Centers. How they had done it, Yumin didn't know.

Braviary slowed. A few hours in the Pokeball here and there barely did anything for it. That became clear. Yumin ran low on berries, potions and medicines. If Pokémon Centers were commandeered did that mean the Marts were too?

"I don't know what they're playing at but with the rate they are going, only two things can happen. They're' either going to burn out and explode or change this world into something we no longer recognize."

They neared the warehouse and as they did, Yumin considered his cousin. "Zakana, is he with you too?"

"Yes."

"Is he okay?"

She said nothing for a few moments and then, "I'll let you see for yourself."

It sounded about right. If it wasn't one thing with that crybaby, it was always another. At least he and Bambi were together.

Closer they came to the square building.

"Oh no!" Farore said.

"What? What's wrong?"

"Get down there, now!"

There was panic in Farore's voice, and Yumin found it contagious.

"Braviary can't go any faster."

Not just faster, but not at all. Suddenly and without warning, Braviary's wings failed. Like it had fallen asleep, the bird plummeted with the weight of a thousand Porygon.