Chapter 18: Farore's Kiss

They sure were different. Yumin—brave and somewhat hotheaded, Bambi—curious and rash, Zakana—helpless and literally as useful as a Magikarp on your elbow . . . though definitely not afraid to speak his mind or do what he wanted. Maybe this is what they had in common—they did what they wanted. Farore had heard of Kirish, but didn't know her personally. If she was holding down the Orange Islands like the news going around said, she definitely had some fire in her. Maybe they weren't so different.

Farore knew most things that went on, but she couldn't figure out why this family was so important. So important to these Viterals. A Professor, a Town Council Leader, a studly trainer, a Master Pokémon Breeder and Trainer combined, a child prodigy, and then . . . Zakana. They didn't mention him. They mentioned every other Hayline except for Zakana. Maybe it wasn't so strange.

These are the things that Farore thought about as she locked down their new place of respite. Isaque was a help. Even if he was working with Team Rocket. She knew, but she wouldn't break it to Bambi and most definitely not Zakana. He was a temperamental fire-type just waiting to Camerupt!

She saw the tattoo—the stylistic 'R' imprinted on every member, usually on the back of the leg (where Isaque's was) or upper arm. To be honest, Farore didn't care much about the politics of the Rockets, the Magmas and Aquas and the Crimsons. They all had their positives and negatives. The Rockets were mostly crooked and greedy but they had done good things. Maybe. What did she know?

"Everything's been secured," Isaque said, "from the windows, to the hatches, to the doors."

Farore surveyed the place, noticed how eerily quiet it was. Soon, they would come. But when?

"We need a dark Pokémon. We need to seal every part of this place so Psychics and Ghosts won't be able to pull trainers in with them. My bugs can only do so much."

Isaque shrugged. "Bambi's Umbreon?"

"Ah right," Farore clicked her tongue. "I don't know if she has the move set yet. Or the energy since the pregnancy. Hey Bambi, come here."

Farore looked at her Pokegear, saw that it was nearly sunrise. A famous time for first strikes. She was used to this, leading. She knew her underlings back at the gym and how they responded positively to her reinforcements. She would have to do the same thing here.

Bambi trotted up, smiled through her fatigue. "Oh, yeah. Hey, what's up?"

"Your Umbreon. Does it know any dark type moves?"

"Dark moves? You mean like bite or something?"

"Yes. Like bite."

Bambi nodded earnestly. Her eyes dazzled from this talk about moves and Pokémon, Farore could tell. It was just like her girls back at the gym. All fit trainers, every single one of them. Suddenly she wondered of their state since she left. What was happening back there? And had the Viterals struck there as well? Farore counted her priorities, tried to determine which was more important. When she found Bambi and Makua in the forest on her way to meet Glaukus, she never thought things would become this complicated. Still, her girls weren't threats. They were merely watching after the gym in Farore's absence. What could the Viterals do about a thing like that?

"Well. It just evolved into Umbreon so it doesn't know much yet. But it did learn bite as an Eevee." Bambi released it from its Pokeball. "Kappa, hey are you okay?" She looked up at Farore to see if there would be any more questions.

Not right now. Farore needed more. One single dark move wasn't enough. Bambi's Houndour was further along in its training it seemed. Maybe together, they could keep out the spirits and ghosts that would try to press themselves in. Like kneaded bread, they would form and reform and squeeze themselves in until they were all surrounded. Farore saw how it would end.