8

"Noooo!"

Jack leaps ahead of the sleigh and flies toward Sandy as North yells out for him. I can see the shock on Sandy's face as he turns around, a patch of black starting to slowly spread across his body. Pitch laughs as he and Sandy lock eyes.

"Hahahahaha!...Don't fight the fear, little man."

The Guardians continue to speed toward Sandy, but Nightmares continuously collide with the sleigh, slowing their progress as Pitch relishes this moment of triumph.

"I'd say sweet dreams, but there aren't any left."

Sandy, his eyes filled with terror, falls to his knees as the black patch continues to spread. Jack presses on, trying to reach Sandy as fast as he can. Sandy stands up, accepting his fate, and closes his eyes as he and his dream sand cloud are consumed by the writhing darkness of Pitch's Nightmares. Horrified, Jack clenches his staff as he flies toward Pitch as I turn and glare at Pitch, quickly aiming my pipe to throw at him.

"No...NOOOOOO!!!!"

I close my eyes and calm my breathing.

"I've only got one shot..."

My eyes opened then and, thinking my aim sufficient enough, I throw the pipe as far as I can, successfully managing to hit Pitch in the side as his Nightmare sand overtakes Jack. My focus then turns to where Jack once was, every part of me hoping that he wouldn't meet the same fate as Sandy.

So I don't notice Pitch coming my way, or the Guardians yelling at me to move out of harm's way.

Just as I snap back to reality, Pitch hits me with his sand, knocking me back. I try to stand once more but Pitch's sand is around my throat, not letting me move. I gasp for air and try to pry away the sand. My vision starts to blur as I see Jack escape from his prison and fall before Tooth catches him.

My eyes shut, seemingly for the last time, as I mutter.

"Jack..."