Discovered

Rikki Chadwick brushed a few strands of blonde hair out of her face, pouring yet another cup of coffee into her favorite mug. Now that the lunch rush was over, it looked like it would be another quiet day at the café.

Rikki sighed and looked over the small number of orders she had taken today. It was already 1:30 and they'd only had five tables. When Rikki's had first opened, a beautiful Saturday like this would've brought in a crowd of customers. She knew what had caused this abrupt change in business, and she intended to fix it, right that minute.

"Zane!" she called into the office after taking a sip of coffee. She grabbed a menu on the way inside.

"Hey, babe." Zane said. Rikki rolled her eyes. She hated pet names.

As usual, Zane was sitting on the couch with Nate playing some dirt bike game. His eyes didn't stray from the TV when she walked in. Rikki could probably walk around topless and he would've even glance up, not with that stupid game on.

"Zane, we need to talk." Rikki told her boyfriend.

Nate looked up from his controller. "Ooooooh." he called to Zane. "She's got in in for ya, mate."

"I want to talk to him alone." Rikki hinted. Nate didn't move.

Rikki groaned and went to her last resort. She walked over to the TV and quickly switched it off. The two boys immediately started complaining, but at least they started to realize she was serious about having a talk. Nate left with a "good luck" to his friend, and Rikki and Zane were finally alone.

"If this is about that broken plate, I told you it wasn't my fault." Zane said quickly.

"It's not about the plate. It's about these prices! They're ridiculous, and they're driving our customers away." Rikki explained, dropping the menu in his lap before taking Nate's former seat. Two weeks ago, Zane had decided to raise all the prices up two dollars. Ever since then, Rikki had overheard grumbling about the prices and witnessed the people dwindling. Today was a prime example of that.

"But the ones who stay pay more." Zane reminded her.

"Zane...we should be trying to establish a business here. We need people who become regulars and tell their friends about the café, not people who complain about our high prices and drive away their friends." she tried to reason with him logically.

Zane pulled Rikki close and kissed her. "Fine, whatever you want. I'll change them back this weekend...and then we can advertise a price drop! It'll be brilliant."

Rikki smiled good-naturedly, kissed Zane again, and went back out to check on the café. There was a thirty-something year old man waiting to be served at the bar.

"Sorry mate, didn't hear you come in. What can I get for you?" Rikki asked him politely.

It was funny how much she'd changed in the past few years. She remembered waitressing at the JuiceNet with Emma and how difficult she had found it...the endless complainers, having to be nice all the time, and the constant rushing to get things done. Now she loved it, and personally thanked each person for coming and supporting Rikki's. Every time money went into the till, Rikki felt a sense of satisfaction.

The man looked up from his menu. He looked like a business-man type, the sort of person Mr. Bennett would work with. His dark eyes studied her make-up less face and messy bun before ordering. "I'll take a large coffee, black, with two sugars."

"Coming right up." Rikki told him, scribbling the order down on a notepad. She could feel the man's eyes on her as she prepared his drink. When she went to hand it to him, he was scrutinizing her body. Super creepy.