Flashes

"You're kidding." Bella said, her blue eyes wide. "Why wasn't he there when I was singing?! You're so lucky!"

Rikki laughed. Bella wasn't actually jealous, although she had a good point. Why, out of all the girls on the Gold Coast, was she the one given this opportunity? Bella was an amazing singer with obvious talent. What about Rikki screamed, "model material" to a professional agent?

"I wouldn't say it's lucky." Rikki tried to justify her decision to model. "I wouldn't even be doing it if I didn't need the money quickly. I probably won't get any jobs, anyway. I'll go in, fall over in my high heels a few times and they'll fire me."

"Don't worry Rikki, you'll be great. When are you going in for a photo shoot?" Cleo said encouragingly.

"Tomorrow at four." she told her friends.

"Good luck." Lewis said seriously. Rikki knew she would need it.

Cleo changed the topic, pulling a wedding planner out of her school bag. She showed everyone the beautiful orange dresses her and Sam had picked out for the bridesmaids.

"Kim's complaining about the length, she wants them shorter. You should've seen how red my dad's face went!" the group dissolved into a heap of giggles at Cleo's conservative father. "Kim is going to be a nightmare on the big day."

"So, Will, are you going to the wedding?" Bella asked her love interest. The two flirted with each other constantly, but weren't a couple. Rikki and Cleo had a not-so-secret vendetta to get them together officially.

Rikki and Cleo exchanged glances and secretive smiles. They had known each other for so long they could practically read each other's minds.

"Let's go get a drink, Lewis." Cleo hooked her arm through her boyfriends and went up to the counter.

Rikki checked her watch. "You know, I should get an early start to my shift. See you guys later. Good luck tonight, Bella."

"Thanks." Bella murmured. Rikki walked away from the table, leaving Will and Bella to have some alone time before the bands started warming up. Just as she and Cleo had planned.

Rikki ducked behind the bar and made her friends juices. The café was getting crowded again, which brought a smile to her face. Whenever the band performed they usually did really well, and Zane was advertising a price drop which was also helping things along. Maybe if they started turning a profit this anxious, worried feeling would go away and her relationship would get off the rocks. It had never been exactly smooth sailing with Zane and her, but she missed their old easygoing weekends and spending time together without a desk between them.

She promised herself she'd do something with Zane that weekend, and then the night flew by. It was an enjoyable night at work. They were constantly busy, but never that panic-inducing 'where the hell does the line end' busy. Bella had written some new songs and the entire atmosphere was happy. The café closed right on time, clean-up was quick, and before Rikki knew it she was in bed trying to get a good night's sleep for her first day of modeling.

xxx

Rikki slept in late the next morning. She wondered if "beauty sleep" really did help people look better, or if it was just the make-up and Photoshop that did that. She guessed she would find out that day after school.

Somehow word had gotten around about her new job. Rikki never liked to be in the spotlight, but suddenly everyone at school was asking her for invites to parties and autographs from so-and-so. As if she would ever get invited to those parties or meet celebrities. Even if she did, there was no way she was granting favours to classmates she barely knew.