↯ f o u r ↯

Present
Arkham Asylum
11:30 A.M.

With baby steps and a few more nights of champagne with her best friend Harley, the brunette and was finally able to go back to work. However, she was quite reluctant to go and see Mr. J, even though the car accident was her fault and her's only.

But she couldn't resist the temptation.

Her knuckles knocked quietly on the door as she opened it, her eyes wide and searching for him. He sat in his broodingly dark corner of the room, his eyes trailed upon the black ceiling in which resembled his mind, tormented and tumultuous in all ways possible, even though it was only a simple color.

Joker never really seemed to realize her presence, and when he did, he just turned his head. "Why haven't you been here?" He asked, his voice low and crackly. She pursed her lips as she walked further in.

"I've been dealing with problems of my own, J." She whispered, and he clenched his teeth.

"And that's my fault, is it not?" He said, then chuckled lowly. "My fault, my fault, my fault," He muttered, almost happily, as if he were nearly done with his life, as if he had nothing else to lose.

"Of course it isn't. I was stupid on my own behalf. If you haven't have saved me, I would be laying in a casket right now." Haven replied, shaking her head.

"I want to be. You know I want to be." J interrupted, which caused Haven to shake her head and walk forward, her hand reaching for his. When her fingers barely touched his own ice-cold ones, he yanked his hand away, as if he would hurt her.

"J," Haven whispered solemnly, her hand reaching for his once again. "Talk to me." She finished, her fingers finding his once more. His hand seemed to be reluctant against his own will, trying it's very best to stay away even when his mind told him to let her grab it. They were shaking, scared that if the slightest touch could end her life.

"You won't hurt me. You won't hurt me, J." She said as she slowly took all of his fingers into her own, intertwining them together slowly.

Finally, a glinting tear cascaded its way down Joker's face, unseen to Haven, as he stared at the ceiling in front of him still. "But I dread the day that I do again, and you won't be here anymore." He spoke. She gave his hand a squeeze.

"No matter what you put me through, if I give you my word, you will not hurt me. Understood?" "Stop talking in your lies, Haven. You were put here to tell me everything was okay. To make me a better person. You've tried, why are you still here? Why haven't you left me yet?" J's voice cracked, and Haven leaned forward, her purple-painted fingernails gently caressing his jawline, turning his eyes to meet her's.

"I had the chance to leave you the second your file was handed to me." She whispered, a tear of her own hanging in the corner of her eye. "I'm still here and I always will be. I'm still supposed to be in the bed right now, I'm not supposed to be here. I came to see you because I knew you needed me. And yes, that's part of my job to tell you everything will be okay, but the other half is making everything okay for you. I am here and always will be, J." She muttered, her voice shaky as her throat closed and more tears fell.

J was silent, his hand reaching up to find the stray hair that fell in Haven's eyes. "Have I ever told you how beautiful you were?" Haven smiled, leaning back as the strand of hair slowly slid through J's fingers. "Many times." She muffled out. She decided that the subject should be changed, and she let him talk.

"Well, I'll tell you once more, and many more times. Your beauty is like a diamond in the rust, shining bright through all this darkness I have within me. Your beauty is the only thing that can make me even think about turning back to the man I was before this." He gestured to himself. "Your smile is highly contagious, your voice is of an angel. I am not worthy of your care, you do not deserve to be burdened by such an animal like me." "I will not let you talk like that." Haven cut him off, his watery eyes turning to face her again as he sat up, their faces inches away from each other.

"You are the most beautiful being I've ever seen. I know you can't be from this Earth, this filthy thing. You're too good for me, why haven't you left me?" "Because I care for you, J."

"Do you love me?" He asked, and Haven stopped. Her heartbeat slowed, and began to beat faster than she had ever imagined it would. Her mouth went dry, her palms sweaty.

Did she love him?

Her mouth opened as she searched for the words to say, taking too long to answer. J watched with tears in his eyes, and he soon jerked his hand away from her as she took too long to answer, turning his back to her.

"Well if you don't love me, leave me." "J, listen to me-" She reached forward, her fingers grazing his shoulder, but he recoiled and his hand wrapped tightly around her wrist. His crazed eyes looked deeply into her own, her hazel irises wide with shock and fear.

"Leave me!" He yelled, his grip still firm and painful around her wrist, and when he was done, he threw her arm back upon her lap.

She was too shocked to cry, so she stood with her mouth open, her other hand finding the sting upon her wrist to soothe it, and without another word, she left the room.