Chapter Fifteen

The collection of dust hurts my nostrils as I come crashing on the hardwood floor. The force which catapults me here rolls me over, prostrate on the floor knocking me into Jacob. His elbow connects with my stomach and my feet hit his shins, both of our heads hitting the counter behind us.

Coughing up some of the inhaled dust, I rub the back of my head while getting back to my feet. My clothes are covered in grey grime, swept from the floor underneath me. Jacob runs his hand through his tousled hair to shake off the dust he collected.

"What happened?" I ask rubbing my eyes.

"I don't know. These things don't just happen. Your hair's shorter and red again."

I take part of my hair and bring it over my shoulder. It has returned to its natural colour and length. After everything that's happened, I realise it changed when I was more Rapunzel than Quinn. Now I'm back as Quinn things have returned to normal.

"Where are we, anyway? It doesn't look like somewhere enchanted."

Till now, my surroundings were inapt to me. Most shelves are empty with a collection of dust and spider webs. The large display glass is broken and barred with thin wooden strips. A gasp leaves my lips while turning to look at the counter behind me.

Ames stands there behind the counter. His blonde hair is slightly shorter than what I remember it to be and even if it sounds ridiculous he himself seemed a little shorter. When our eyes connect, staring into his deep, blue eyes, I notice this is not Ames but Adam. Had he gone through some odd growth spurt? How can a seven-year-old look like he's eighteen?

Adam drops his jaw and backs away from the counter. His face is drained from any colour and his eyes blink incessantly, like he has seen a ghost.

"Look," Jacob nudges and points at the book on the counter.

I immediately recognize my copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales. The cover is in pristine condition as if freshly restored, envying even my father's work. Someone has taken dedication and care in restoring this cover.

"Adam? Adam it's me, Quinn."

Adam approaches slowly, his eyes stuck on me as he goes around the counter and stops a few feet away. Without further hesitation, he jumps on me, his strong arms hugging me fiercely, my head resting on his shoulder because he's my same height now. He's holding on to me like I might disappear any moment as quickly as I appeared.

"What happened here? We're in my bookstore, right? How on Earth did this happen in a week?"

"A week? Quinn, you've been gone for twelve years! Everybody thought you were kidnapped or worse."

Twelve years? How could have twelve years gone by? Rumpelstiltskin failed to mention time would run differently in the story realm. Another one of his omissions to trick me into accepting his deal.

"Ames was heartbroken and carried on with his draft and was sent back home two years later because he was too sick to fight. Your dad continued working at the store with a heavy heart, opening at irregular times more often than not. When Ames returned, he abandoned the store to take care of us three. When Ames died last year social services wouldn't let us stay with him even though I was the same age Ames was when he started taking care of us. Your Dad left the town soon after and went to live with some other relatives."

After everything I've been through to save his life, including the journey which took me to the story realm, Ames still died prematurely. Rumpelstiltskin knew this would happen. I would waste my second wish to turn back time and have him die in the draft instead. Destiny should not be messed with. I've learnt my lesson.