Part 1 - Chapter 5

I wake up startled from last night's nightmare. In this odd dream, Gothel has captured William, who somehow got the manuscript from me. Next to her there's an open doorway into which she pushes William and he disappears. I try to retrieve the book back from her but she shoves me out of the way through the door before I wake.

My stay at King Oswald's castle was never meant to be more than a few days long to recover and plan ahead where I could stay plus another two or three alternatives just in case the place turns out to be occupied. Today it has been a month since my arrival in his Majesty's kingdom. People's lives here are not dominated by time but for me it is important to keep track how long I've been separated from my brother and how long we stay in this fantastic world.

During my stay at the castle, I started yet another map and scoured the land, jotting down every forest, hill and clearing I found within his Majesty's land. Last week I completed the map and, seven days later, I'm still here. Secretly I hope to stay until William shows up. Two diverging lines can never meet but if I stay put long enough, he might come by one day. Unless he has also settled down somewhere and is waiting for me to go looking for him. It's one of the reasons why I decided I can't stay any longer.

I pack what fits from my belongings back into the leather satchel. The manuscript and the maps are the most important possessions I have at the moment. Everything else can be left behind. I close my bedroom door behind me and head down to the hall.

Once these walls were estranged to me but a month on, I know how to navigate my way through the castle on my own. The staff enjoyed my company and many a time they gathered around me in the kitchen to hear me tell one of the wondrous, newer stories we had been working on. I cherish them and will greatly miss them but it's time for me to move on.

The King, as expected, is sitting on his throne in the hall but he's alone. The hall is like his office but usually is a bit more crowded - whether be it his brother the Duke, visiting royalty or a peasant from the village. What I want to say might be influencing my thoughts but he also seems lost in thought.

"Your Majesty, may I have a word?" I say. The King gives me his full attention immediately like a squashed spring which sprung back into shape when released. Either he's happy to see me or he intended to speak to me and I anticipated him.

"What can I do for you, Master Grimm?"

The words I rehearsed over and over in my head fail me. The part of me which longs to stay obfuscates my thoughts, poisoning my heart with a sense of longing. How can I break this news to the King?

"I have been at the palace for over a month now, your Highness," I say. "During this time I was treated like a prince, if you pardon my use of the word. I felt a sense of belonging I rarely felt before and I have you and the princess to thank for it."

"That's marvellous news but I sense there's more you wish to add to your statement."

"I think it's time for me to leave."

"Leave?"

King Oswald lets out a sigh, pensive and mum. I would give a penny for his thoughts if I had any money to exchange. The fingers on his right hand drum on the arm of his throne with soft, pattering sounds and it impossible for me to look away as the silence in the room consumes us.

"I'm sorry to hear about your endeavours," he says when he finally speaks. He's no longer sitting straight and imposing authority just by a glance. Instead he slouches and a frown appears on his face. I have been a month at the palace. Has he grown so fond of me he doesn't want me to leave? Surely there must be another explanation for his moping.

"I'd appreciate if you'd speak out your concerns, Sire," I say, trying to pry out of him the answer I need. "I sense your concern isn't only for my well-being."