I've Lost Her

The flight would be boarding soon. Maya and Shawn sat at the terminal while Katy was off looking for magazines and snacks for their flight.

"Kiddo, it will be fine. I've been on a number of planes," Shawn said to Maya as they waited. Her face was pale and she looked like she was barely holding herself together. He knew she was having some anxiety about the flight, but he assumed Riley would have gotten her calmed down.

"It's not about the plane," she said at a whisper.

"Then what is it?"

Maya looked up at Shawn, "I told her last night."

"Really? That's great!" Shawn yelled, throwing his arm around her. "How did it go?"

"She didn't say anything. She just looked at me," her voice sounded so small.

"Well, did you give her a chance to?" Shawn asked.

"You should have seen her face, Shawn. She didn't need to say anything. I-I've lost her," tears began to fall.

He pulled her closer and held her tight. Maya's body shook as tears wracked her body.

"What happened?" Katy asked when she came back. "Why is she crying?" Her voice was elevated with concern.

"Maya told Riley last night," Shawn said as held on to Maya's crying form.

"Oh, baby girl," she said taking the empty seat on Maya's other side and piling onto the hug.

Shawn looked up and smiled, "Are you sure you lost her?" A strange confidence was in his voice.

Maya nodded into his chest.

"Then why is she standing behind you?"

"Wha-?" Maya turned around to see Riley standing a few feet from her, nervously playing with her hands. "Riley?"

"We will give you two some privacy," Shawn said as he stood up. He took Katy's hand and led them away.

"You left before I could say anything last night," Riley said hesitantly.

"You didn't have to, Riles. I saw your face," Maya looked down at her lap.

Riley walked over and sat next to Maya. She placed her hand under Maya's chin as she had done countless times, and turned the blonde's head to look at her. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"I was scared."

"I wish you would have."

"You do?" Maya tried not to sound hopeful.

"I do," Riley smiled before leaning in until their lips met.

Maya melted into the kiss, not believing this was really happening. "Am I dreaming?" she asked, her eyes still closed, as Riley pulled away.

"No, Peaches. You aren't dreaming."

Her eyes flutter open, "This is real?"

"It's real."

"You kissed me."

"I did," Riley smiled at her.

"Why?"

"Because I love you too. I have for a long time. If you would have given me time to process this last night I would have told you then."

"You love me the way I love you?" Maya let herself get lost in Riley's eyes.

"Yes, the way you love me," Riley answered her, nodding her head slightly.

Maya's smile grew, and she began to shake.

"Do it," Riley rolled her eyes, a huge smile on her face.

"Yaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy."

Riley laughed, "You haven't done that since Shawn asked out your mom."

"Riley Matthews love me!" she screamed.

"Maya, calm down," Riley said amongst giggles. "Everyone is looking at us!"

"Don't care. You love me. Nothing else matters," she threw herself at Riley until their lips crashed together again.

"Now boarding Flight 271 to Dublin at Terminal Gate 14A all seating groups," came a voice over the intercom.

"That's your flight, Peaches," Riley said as she pulled back.

Maya looked like a sad puppy, "I don't want to leave. Not now. Not after this."

Riley brushed Maya's hair away from her face, causing Maya to catch her breath. "I'll be here when you get back next week."

"Promise?"

"I'm not going anywhere."

"Riles, before I get on the plane I have to ask...what are we now?" Maya bit down on her lower lip.

"We are Riley and Maya. Just as we've always been. Anything else we can figure out when you get home. Ok?"

"Ok," Maya responded, her breathing heavy. "When I get home." She stood up and grabbed her backpack. "Bye, Riles. I'll see you in a week."

Riley got to her feet and threw her arms around Maya, "In one week. I'm going to miss you so much."

Maya took a step back, biting down on her lip once again. "One more kiss for the road? Er - air?" She laughed at herself.

Riley nodded before closing the distance between them. When they broke apart Maya walked over to where her mom and Shawn had been waiting. She looked over her shoulder one last time to see Riley smiling and giving her a gentle wave goodbye as she handed the attendant her boarding pass and walked through the open door to board the airplane. Maya didn't have one worry the entire flight as her mind was too occupied replaying the encounter over and over in her mind. She didn't stop smiling until the plane touched down over eight hours later.

** Next chapter will cover what happened during the phone call with Lucas and leading up to Riley arriving at the airport. **