I'm Still Mad at You

"I told you so we wouldn't have any secrets Maya," Riley continued to call down. "I messed up!"

"How do I know you aren't lying now, Riles?" Maya finally answered her cries.

"Ring Power? Thunder? I don't know how to prove it, but it's the truth!" Riley rambled on, trying to say something, anything, to convince Maya she was being honest. She knew she deserved the skepticism, she brought it on herself. "Peaches, tell me how to prove it to you! I fucking need you! Please!"

Maya took a moment before climbing back up the fire escape. When she met Riley on the landing she spoke, "You swore."

"What?"

"You said fucking. Riley Matthews just swore."

Riley laughed through her tears, "That's how much I meant it."

Maya brought her hand to Riley's cheek and brushed away her tears. "I'm still mad at you."

"I'm still mad at me too," she said sniffling back a tear.

"Bay Window?"

Riley nodded and climbed back up to her window while Maya followed close behind.

They sat side by side, as they had done a thousand times. This time; however, neither knew what to say. After what seemed like an eternity it was Riley who broke the silence.

"Can I please tell you everything without you running out again?"

Maya nodded, not giving her a verbal answer.

"When you told me I was terrified. I was up all night thinking, and then I talked to my dad about it. I was confused, Maya. I broke up with Lucas that morning. I woke him up to break up with him. I had to end it before I saw you because I knew I was feeling something but I didn't know what it was! I had planned to tell you that I was confused, and lost, and I ended it! That's why I went to the airport. When I got there... I don't know... I panicked! So I gave myself a week to figure it out."

Maya stared straight ahead as Riley talked, nodding where appropriate. She felt so broken right now, but she couldn't blame Riley for feeling how she did. Of course she was confused. She didn't have to lie about it though.

"Anyways, while you were gone I did a lot of research and a lot of thinking. I learned that a lot of people can be attracted to both sexes... and that what we have isn't normal for friends to have... and what I realized is that I've been in love with you for as long as I can remember, I just didn't know it. Peaches, it wasn't fair of me to tell you I loved you the way you love me at the airport, because I didn't know that I did. But I figured out that I did... I just didn't realize it until you were gone. This entire week all I could think about was kissing you again! I want to be with you, Maya. I wan't us to be girlfriend and girlfriend. I want to kiss you every day and I want - "

Maya cut her off by throwing herself into Riley, causing her to fall back onto the Bay Window bench as their lips crashed into one another. She pressed her tongue against Riley's lips, who parted them instinctually for her. Their lips danced with one another as if they had done this every day of their lives. It was the most natural feeling in the world, and for those minutes they were the only two people in existence.

"Don't ever lie to me again," Maya said breathily, looking down at Riley as she brushed her finger across the brunette's cheek.

"Never. I'm so sorry, Peaches."

"Shh. We aren't going to worry about that again. Ok?"

Riley nodded. "Maya?"

"Yes, Honey?" Maya stared into Riley's eyes, allowing herself to get lost.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

Tears once again pooled in Maya's eyes, but this time they were tears of joy.