Prologue

Before...

It was a grim winter's night, the darkest and coldest time of year, where the moon would not show its face. The great village square was ablaze with commotion of its inhabitants, lit up in glows of gold and orange from their torches.
Crowds of people were gathered at the enormous courtyard, unaware of the night's chill. Instead, they were infuriated, and anticipating something to happen. There was heated conversation to be heard everywhere. Then, as a group of guards came forward, the villagers began to shout, laugh, and jeer.
For the guards had been dragging a young girl into the middle of the courtyard, and she was to be sentenced to the worst punishment possible, death. The girl had snowy, ashen white hair, which seemed so otherworldly and abnormal. She wore a single, tattered and torn dress. From the glow of the dim firelight, her dress seemed like it used to be white as well, but it was smeared too much with grime and dirt. The poor girl was screaming with fear and struggling in the steeled arms of the guards, trying in vain to get free.
Now why, you ask, would an innocent seeming little girl be deserving of such extreme consequences? Well, no one knows for sure, but the girl carried with her a strange back story, and even stranger abilities.
***
The young girl had never truly fit in anywhere. She had been born, daughter of the Fae Queen Titania of the Seelie court and the King of the Unseelie court. Then the Unseelie King had decided to leave Titania's side. Titania had been furious and immediately began waging wars with his court.

Titania had later found her true and faithful husband, King Oberon of the Seelie court. With him, she had another two daughters.
The Seelie and Unseelie courts had been enemies ever since that fateful day. However for some reason, the Queen chose to keep her first daughter until her fifteenth year, a year when it came time to choose a new faerie queen.
That was when the young girl's mystical ice powers began to show and reveal themselves, an inherited ability from her Unseelie father to create, control, command ice and snow, and to draw upon the iciest north winds.
The Faerie Queen Titania was absolutely horrified with what her daughter was capable of doing. She didn't want to have any more ties to the Unseelie court.
The Unseelie King did not want his own daughter back either - she reminded him too much of Titania.
So instead of agreeing to make her the next Seelie Queen, Titania immediately sent her daughter away, banishing her to the Lands of the wild Fae and mortals. She passed the role to the first daughter that she had had with King Oberon.
Meanwhile, heartbroken from the betrayals of her parents, the banished girl wandered through the new and unknown lands, hoping desperately to find refuge. However, her powers just kept growing stronger, and not a single person or family would take her in or be her friend. Instead, she remained an outcast, gaining frightful enemies and always on the run.
Until she discovered this village. People here were so nice, or so it seemed, at first. They were mostly mortals, who would offer her shelter, clothes, food; a safe haven. Then, after an entirely accidental display of her ice magic, people turned on her, yet again.
Many deemed she was a dangerous monster. Many called her a sorcerer. They said she was a witch. The townspeople demanded to have her burned with fire as soon as possible, and she could not escape them. They would never accept an individual bearing powers as terrible as hers.
***
In the centre of the courtyard, the shouts of the townspeople could be heard growing louder and louder.
"Monster!" They shrieked.
"Witch!"
"Kill this dangerous girl!"
"She will curse us all!"
"She's not fit to live!"
"End her tyrant sorceries!"
"She was never meant to be born!"
The guards who held the girl dragged her up to a crude platform of rough hewn wood, surrounded by piles of kindling, and shoved her roughly forward, so that she nearly slammed her head into the stake that she was about to be burned at.
The frightened maiden struggled helplessly, as her captors wrenched her arms up behind her and forced them around the stake. Desperately, she tried to call upon her powers to save herself, but there was no such luck. She had yet to learn how to control them.
People watching began throwing things at the girl and randomly stabbing at her direction with pitchforks, spear points, sticks, and small knives that gleamed wickedly in the firelight. It seemed as though they really hated her.
The soldiers gripped the girl's wrists and began tying and binding her to the stake, overlooking the gathered crowds.
Since the girl had been born of the Fae, the terrible poison of the iron chains around her wrists bit into her skin, causing her to moan and scream, while her superstitious watchers laughed and sneered. She struggled all the more violently, and with that, a nearby guard whipped a flaming torch in front of her face. She gave a piteous cry, as the flames seared into the left side of her cheek, scarring her forever.
When the fire took hold, something inside that fifteen year old girl was forced to change. When the flames touched her, she could feel something inside her awakening.
Deep inside her, an icy cold despair and rage swelled in her heart, which at that very moment, had begun to freeze to solid ice. She could feel her powers stirring inside her ever so strongly, fueled from her heartbreak, loss, anger, fear, pain, bitterness, and betrayal. The flames and heat no longer hurt her anymore, and she could feel the chains binding her wrists slowly breaking and giving away. She heard the distinct crackling of ice crystals forming, weakening the metal. She could feel the deadly cold ice and magic spreading, pulsing through her veins, in time with her heartbeat. Ice battled and raged against the fire. The flames began to recede.