Chapter 1

Mike’s POV

I carefully walk up the broken stairs, trying not to make any sounds. Not that there is anything to fear. Yet.

I sneak up behind the door to what I believe is a bathroom and stand with my back against the wall. I take a careful glance into the room, and since I see no trace of crawlers, I step inside and slowly shut the door behind me. I turn the lights on and look at myself in a cracked mirror. My blonde hair, normally filled with volume, is almost glued to my face by sweat and rainwater. It covers one of my emerald-green eyes, so I remove it to check my face. No visible wounds, that’s a good sign.

A lot of new deceases has been found lately. Some of the symptoms are impossible to cure, but fortunately most of them can be cured with antibiotics and other strong medications.

I hear my phone ringing, and I hurry to pic it up.

”Jonathan!?” I scream in desperation. We got separated 2 weeks ago, and since then I haven’t heard anything from him. Since I don’t know how to use a phone for texting or phone calls, I’m pretty useless when it comes to keeping in touch.

”Relax Mike, are you okay?” he asks with a sort of worried voice. I really wish I could see his face now. He’d look at me with his dark brown eyes, smile a smile filled with sympathy and wrap his arms around me. I’m sure of it.

”I’m fine, I’m not hurt anywhere. And I haven’t seen any crawlers. How about you, where are you?” I answer and feel so relieved to finally hear his voice. I get a harder grip around my phone and shut my eyes. It’s almost like having him here with me.

”I’m just a few meters away from that creepy Lady’s house, and I’m fine too. I spotted some crawlers a few blocks away, but they were moving in the opposite direction, so it should be fine.”

Before I really get to think about what he said, I hear a scratching sound from outside the bathroom door. It sounds like the claws of the creature almost get stuck in the door each time it scratches it.

”I’m in her house. Don’t come in, it’s too dangerous.”

Crawlers are fast, and strong. Despite their overgrown claws and huge fangs, they basically look like some big mutated rats, and their speed is amazing for those small legs. Many people believe that the crawlers brought some deceases along with them, since they hadn’t been seen up until recently. But that’s just a theory. And so far there’s no known way of killing them. Unless you mosh them or something. But they’re too big for that.

”I can’t just leave you in there! They’ll get to you somehow!” he screams so loud that I have to hold my phone far away from my ear. I know as well as he does that the crawlers will get in soon enough. God, I really wish I had an escape route made BEFORE I stepped in here. But now it’s too late. I don’t even know how many of them there are.

I sit down on the toilet, trying to relax and think clearly. What should I do next? What would be the best move, and what could cost me my life? These creatures will simply not give up. They’re hungry, and they need food. Just like us humans. And right now, both me and Jonathan can be their targets. Or well, I already am. And I really hope they won’t notice Jonathan’s presence.

From downstairs I hear a loud sound, and I hear how the crawler runs down with it’s claws clicking against the floor. Seems like it only were one of them, lucky us. I hear another loud sound and something that sounds like it comes out of a horror movie. Jonathan killed it.

I hang up his phone call and open the door. When I look at it, I see that it was only a few centimeters from getting torn up. I look down the stairs and spot Jonathan’s brown hair. I smile, and when he looks up at me, he smiles back. I walk down the stairs, not thinking about how broken it is, and I almost fall down trough it. But I somehow get a hold of the railing and drag myself up. I look up at Jonathan again. I bet he thinks I’m hopeless.

”Come on dumbass. We have to go.” he says with a smile on his face. God, he’s so perfect. That half-long brown hair and those kind, brown eyes makes me feel complete. His soft but yet manly facial features makes him look like a model, but unfortunately he hates to stand in front of the camera.

I stand up and brush the dirt of my torn apart clothes. I really need new ones soon, I feel like I’m running around half-naked. And I don’t like that.

Jonathan’s POV

I look down at how short and tiny Mike looks. He really looks poor and miserable in his so called clothes. We’re both soaked because of the rain, so we stay inside for a bit to seek shelter. I wrap my arms around Mike and sit down on the old couch I spotted when I killed the crawler. I make sure he sits safe in my lap and hold him close. He’s the only one I’ve got in this lonely world.

Okay, sure. It’s not like it’s the apocalypse, almost no one has died from these deceases. So my family is probably alive. But I’d rather have them killed by some wolves or something.

”Hey Mike, how come you’re so cute when you’re a dude?” I teasingly ask and look at him. He laughs and plays with my hair. He looks overjoyed, and that makes me happy too. If only he was a girl, I’d totally fall for him. But I’m not into guys, so all I can do is cuddle and have fun with him once in a while. That doesn’t really bother me.

”Hey Jonathan.. You know what?” he says looking fanatically at my hair while twinning it.

”Haha, no, what?” I answer and stroke one of his thighs. He smiles softly before answering.

”I really like you Jonathan, you’re the best friend in the world.” he says and turns a little more faced against me while not moving in my lap. His nose carefully touches my tan skin at my shoulder. I don’t say a word. We’re both cold, and I know he needs heat since he’s so small. So I hold him even tighter.

Soon, I feel his breath getting heavier against my neck and I smile for myself. We barely survived the attack of one crawler, and he’s already fast asleep. How typical of him. The first time for two weeks that we meet, he’s sleeping. Great greeting I must say. Just when I’m about to shut my eyes, I hear a bang from upstairs.. Somehow I manage to wake Mike up without scaring him.

”We’ve got to move. It’s not safe.” I whisper and stand up, still holding Mike close to me. ”I heard something from the attic, it’s too dangerous to stay and find out.”

Mike looks at me with a worried expression. I take my hand, put on his head and smile an encouraging smile before I make him tag along out in the rain. It’s not as rainy as before, but now the yard is all muddy and soggy, and it looks like a creek in the middle of the lawn. It looks dangerous to step outside in the mud, but it could be even more dangerous to stay.

Every move must be thought trough carefully, or we’ll die.

The deceases only spread through wounds and blood, it cannot be transferred only through air. Which is verry good. But soon enough, the decease will find a new way to force itself into new host bodies. It’s getting more and more dangerous to live here. We have to get away, and that’s soon. Not just from this house, from this country. We have no chance of surviving here for very much longer.

I hold Mike’s hand with a steady grip and begin to run out in the rain. He runs after me without saying anything, probably he doesn’t want to disturb me. My escape route isn’t very good, but it should be safe enough for us to at least reach a safer building.

This part of the town has already been forgotten by the rest. This part is dead, no one will ever come back here. Which means that we have to come to them to even get food or medical supplies.

”Jonathan, I can’t run anymore..” Mike says, trying his best to stay on his feet. I really feel sorry for him, he’s so thin and weak right now. I’ve never seen him like this ever before. ”I’m sorry.” I say and continue to force him with me. We don’t have time to stop now. Someone, or someTHING knows we’re here. And that may not end up very good.

I stop, turn around so I’m facing Mike and catch him in my arms without removing my eyes from what I just saw. I hide Mikes face against my chest and stare. I can’t stop. It’s horrible.