Chapter 4

Jonathan’s POV

”Shit! MIKE!” I scream, ever though I know it’s no use to just scream. I have to do something to save him, or else it’ll be over! I don’t want to lose him! My mind almost goes all blank, but then Rena pulls my shirt and looks up at me. ”What will you do?” she asks, looking a little spaced out. I bet she’s scared. ”I don’t know. I.... don’t know..” I quietly answer, clenching hard to my shabby sweatpants. I HAVE to do SOMETHING.

I rush to the ladder me and Rena climbed up moments ago and slide down on it. I run towards a car squat beside it and look inside to see if I can find anything that might come in handy. I spot a baseball bat and grab it, row I feel ready to git some freaks. I get a hold grip of the bat and then run towards those freaks surrounding Mike. ”I’m coming Mike, hold on!” I scream, waving the bat on one of the men. His head then flies some meters away and his body falls down on the ground, showing no signs of ever being alive. The other freaks then look at that lifeless body, and suddenly they throw themselves on it and begin to eat the rotten flesh. I feel disgusted. ”J-Jonathan...” I hear Mike whimper. I throw myself down on my knees in front of him, hugging him so hard that me myself can barely breathe. After a short moment of relief, I let go. ”We have to get back up to that roof.”

Mike stands up, shaking like a scared little rabbit. I feel sorry for him, but We really need to move on, they’ll be done feeding on that corpse soon. And we’re probably their next target. And that’ll not end up good if they’re done before we’ve escaped. We already know how fast they are. I grab Mike’s arm and then begin to run, he can barely keep up with me, but somehow he does. I push him up first so that at least he’s safe. And when he’s climbed about one meter, I see that those... Creatures.. Stands up. I almost begin to panic, but then I see how far Mike’ve climbed and I hurry after him, thinking that we’re hopefully safe on higher grounds.

”Jonathan!” Rena says with a happy voice and runs towards me. She still looks like she’s spaced out. Maybe she’s in shock? She hugs me, and I hug her back. ”It’s okay Rena, we’re safe.” I whisper. She backs off a little and look into my eyes. Her face shows no emotions, and neither does her eyes. Somehow, I’m getting a little bad feeling about this, but she’s just a little girl, of course she’s shocked over this whole thing! I can’t blame her for that.

Rena’s POV

I stare at Jonathan for a while, trying to recall my memories of him. But I just can’t remember anything but his smile. That smile which makes me feel so warm and safe. I turn around and look at Mike. Maybe he’s the reason I can’t remember. Maybe he tries to steal Jonathan away from me? He better not, that smile of his makes me willing to keep living. And I don’t want to lose something that precious because of someone like Mike. He’s just a little kid anyway, he must be around my age, he’s so short.

I want him dead.

Mike’s POV

I can feel Rena’s destructive thoughts all the way here. It gives me the creeps. What have I ever done to her? And why is she so determined to have Jonathan for herself? He’s my best friend, he doesn’t need a little kid like her. I admit it, I’m in love with Jonathan. I’ve realized that now. And I don’t want her to destroy anything between us. I don’t care if he doesn’t love me back, because the only thing that matters is that I can stay by his side. That’s after all what friendship means. Being able to stay beside the one you love.

I need him, and he needs me. But even if he doesn’t love me, I’ll still be by his side and protect him.And he needs me, even if he doesn’t know it. That makes me somehow relieved. Knowing that I’m needed by the one I love. Unfortunately, I know he’ll never love me back. He’s told me several times that he’d never be able to be a homosexual. But he also said that he accepts them and that he doesn’t mind them as long as they don’t flirt on him while knowing he’s straight. If they don’t know, he doesn’t care, since they couldn’t possibly know without him telling them. But just because Jonathan hanged out with me all the time, and my friends suspected that I was gay, they often thought he was too. That pissed me off, since I thought I was straight too. Up until recently. The signs are so obvious.

I’ve never ever falling in love with a girl or felt attracted to one, but in the changing room, I’ve always watched the other guys without thinking about it. Now that I’ve realized that I’m in love with Jonathan, it all feels so obvious. I’ve been gay all along without knowing it. That somehow makes me embarrassed, not knowing my own sexual orientation. Well well, life’s long. Unless we die because of this whole apocalypse thing. Then life’s pretty short.

Suddenly, I hear a loud screeching sound echoing, and I look up at the sky. You’ve got to be kidding. There’re even monsters that can fly? Now we’re not safe anywhere! ”Jonathan” I say and look at him. Our eyes meet and he nods. We run across the roof to get to the door leading into the building. I grab the handle and pull the door towards me. It’s heavy, but I can’t let that stop me.

With all my strength I open it and hold it open so that Jonathan and Rena can run inside. I quickly follow them and drag the door with me so it’ll close faster. Now we’re all cornered in here. Hopefully we can find things of use in here, and food.

Jonathan slowly walks down the stairs, looking everywhere, probably to make sure we’re as safe as we can be for now. I can’t stop looking at him, even though I only see the back of his head. He’s still as pretty as always. I suddenly bump into something and look down, it’s Rena, and she’s looking right at me. ”Hey Rena, we have to follow Jonathan. It’s not safe to get separated.” I say and pat her head. She looks at me for some more seconds, then she turns around and jumps down to Jonathan. ”Good girl.” he say and smiles. I’m getting pissed, again. Why doesn’t he give me any credit for making her keep going?

Rena’s POV

I don’t like that guy. It feels like he want my Jonathan. I can’t let that happen. Jonathan’s mine, and mine alone. I don’t care how far I have to go to make them realize that. I don’t care if I put Mike’s life on the line. And to be honest, I don’t care if I risk Jonathan’s life either, as long as they get it. He’s fucking mine! Mike can’t take him away from me!