Chapter 11

’I grew up in a happy family. My twin sister and I, we were so close. My mother was really kind, and so was my father. They both earned pretty much money, so we never had to worry about anything. We had a lot of friends, and also a lot of relatives. We always had something to do. We met our grandpa almost everyday, he was the one we liked the most of our relatives. He gave us candy, toys, everything we wanted. He taught us about real friendship, to see the difference between right and wrong, and also the ability to accept and respect everyone for what they were. After he taught us that, my sister seemed much happier, and I couldn’t understand why. Not until our 15th birthday.

I walked into her room in the morning, as I always did at our birthday, and I saw her in bed with another girl. At first, I didn’t know what to do. So I just shut the door and sat down outside her room. I guess I was shocked, but who wouldn’t be? I saw my own sister have sex, with a girl. It just kinda struck me why she suddenly became so happy after grandpa told us that everyone is beautiful and have the right to be loved as they are. She herself was special, and I guess she just needed a proof that it was okay.

Not too long after I had opened the door, the girl she slept with came out of her room. ”I’m sorry you had to see that.” she said, and as I remember, it sounded like she meant it. After that, my sister came out. I stood up, smiled and said ”Happy birthday, Amelie. I’ll always accept you for who you are, okay?”

She looked so happy after I said that. I didn’t understand how she could love girls in that way, but I accepted it. She could’t help who she fell in love with, just like I couldn’t chose to fall in love with boys. It’s just how it is, and there’s nothing you can do to change it.

The very same day, we went to our grandpa’s place to tell him. But when we got there, he wasn’t home. The door was unlocked, and we went inside. We couldn’t find him anywhere, so we called our parents, who were on a business trip, and asked what to do. They told us to call the hospital and ask if he were there, and we did.

The doctor told us grandpa came in with some weird symptoms that they’d never seen before. We rushed over there, just to face the bitter truth. Grandpa was dying. We both took one of his hands each and held them hard as Amelie opened up her heart to him. ”I’m sorry grandpa. I’m sorry I didn’t understand what you meant before. But I understand now. I understand why you told us everything. You knew I was different from the very beginning, didn’t you?” she said, crying as grandpa looked at her. ”I’m beautiful even though I love girls, right?” she asked him. He smiled a soft and warming smile towards her crying face. ”Of course my girl. Everyone is beautiful in their own way.” he answered. After that, he shut his eyes and took his final breath. I could feel how his body gave in, and then the machine next to his bed started beeping. Amelie, who were already crying, cried even more, and I began to cry too. Our beloved grandpa died, holding our hands, and the last thing he did was to encourage my sister to stay they way she wanted to be.

A few days later, when our parents came home, we moved. They wanted us to get away from those bad memories. We didn’t want to, but we had no choice. Amelie also chose not to tell our parents about her being homosexual. And that showed to be a very good choice, because not long after, our parents started a campaign against homosexuals. We then decided to move out.

Amelie got herself a girlfriend, and they were so happy together. I then finally started to see the  real beauty of being a homosexual. I even tried myself, and found out that I was bisexual. But my relationship didn’t last long, since my girlfriend didn’t want anyone to know about her being a lesbian. So she broke up with me. My sister and her girlfriend comforted me and it made me feel a little better.

But a few days later, both of them died in a car crash, and I were all alone. Our parents moved again without telling me, they changed their numbers too, so I couldn’t reach them. They didn’t even show up at Amelie’s and her girlfriends funeral. After that, I never smiled again. Not even once. I avoided everyone and I even stopped going to school. The only thing that kept me going was grandpa’s last words. That’s also the only reason I’m still alive today.’

I tremble in fear as I see a giant snake outside the window. All human-like monsters begin to climb it, and it even looks like they’re tying to eat on it. Jonathan points at the fire-exit and we quietly go there. The snake outside doesn’t look infected, but I guess it’ll be soon enough. We open the fire-exit and run down to the basement. As we reach the bottom of the stairs, Jonathan stops. All of us stay quiet and try to hear if anything’s here.

Mike’s POV

I take a few steps forward and look around. The lights are flickering, but I can still see good enough. I hear a clattering sound, and even though I know it’s stupid, I walk forward. ”Mike!” Jonathan hisses, but I ignore him. I have to see what it is, and i have to see if I can find something to use as a weapon. I spot a pipe, and I grab it. It’s heavy, but I can hold it pretty well. I take a step forward towards the clattering and look inside the room it came from. I see a little boy who’s eating from a can of soup. I sigh in relief. ”Are you okay?” I ask. He quickly turns around and looks at me with big blue eyes. He’s scared to death, I can notice that. ”It’s okay, we won’t hurt you.” I say, trying to convince him that we mean no harm. He drops the can and hugs my leg. I stare at him, but begin to pat his head. ”it’s okay now, you’re safe.” I say. His rust red hair is shaggy and all dirty. I tangle out a stick from it and throw it on the floor. ”Come here little kid, my friends are waiting for me.”

The little boy looks up at me and nods. I take his hand and bring him back with me. ”Look guys, I found him here in a corner.” I say. Jonathan sits down on his knees and caresses the boy’s cheek. ”Are you okay?” he asks. The boy nods and looks nervously up at me. ”Who is this man?” the boy asks me. I smile and pat his head. ”Well, you see. He’s my partner, my boyfriend. Do you think it’s weird?” I answer. He shakes his head while still looking at me. ”Love is always beautiful.”