Marthlington 1.1

Alright, this first part doesn't have a lot of Marthlington, but you'll get your fill in part 2, promise. ;3 So this one-shot of sorts is set in a universe/timeline where the heroes and friends return to the Realm of Mianite when they come out of the void. This is based off of TL's storyline. I'm not sure if I'll write more from this particular universe, but we shall see. Hope you all enjoy a bit of wizardly angst. :)

*Waglington's POV*

Almost a whole month had passed after we'd arrived back home when a summons came from the Board of Directors at Laenadur. I quickly scrawled a note for Martha and left it on the door to Fyre HQ in case she came looking for me while I was gone. I frowned as I realized how unlikely that was. She hadn't come to see me at all this last week, and the tower had felt far too large and empty without her bright presence. She's probably up to her ears in goddess business, I concluded. Dianite and she were in quite the odd position, being outliers in a world that already had gods—including their own version of Dianite.

Wondering how negotiations were going, Memento and I teleported to the college in Laenadur. I hadn't been to the wizard city frequently even before we left the dimension. I usually let my brothers go while I stayed wherever our home was at the time to continue my research. I had helped build this place more than a century ago, and I smiled seeing that the buildings still looked like new and had even been added to. The other wizards had taken good care of the place. What had started as a sparsely populated refuge from the war had become a sprawling metropolis packed full of wizards and wizard families seeking community and isolation from the mortals that still feared them. Those who were honest admitted they feared the mortals too.

Memento scented the air and padded forward with me as we walked up the steps of the college's administration building. There was no town hall in Laenadur, and the Board of Directors had taken to meeting in an upper room here. I remembered the way from the last time I'd been here. They had tried to convince me to take a seat on their Board. I had politely declined. So, what do they want with you now? Memento asked. They've left you alone since the war ended.

I'm not sure. Maybe they've had word from my brothers, I answered uncertainly. I knew my brothers could take care of themselves, and I had been struggling not to worry that they had run into trouble. After all when I followed them to Ruxomar I came out months behind when I only left hours later. Or maybe they have a question about my report on Ruxomar.

I didn't have time for further consideration. The trip to the meeting room was a quick one, and the mahogany doors were open. The Board was waiting for me. I got the distinct impression that they had already been here awhile. They all turned to acknowledge me as I entered, some with curiosity showing in their eyes as they studied me, some with warm familiarity—these I had worked with when first establishing the city and its protection spells—and others with guarded detachment bordering on disdain. All of them spared a quick look at Memento as he walked proudly beside me. I could almost smell the fear and challenge in their attitude before Memento told me it was there.

I took the seat they had left open for me, and I uncomfortably noted that it had been Donella's. My familiar more blatantly expressed his displeasure at the Board's insensitivity. Memento let out a low growl; thankfully, no one appeared to hear it. I nudged Memento gently with my foot as I sat down. Careful, friend. Let's hear what this is about.

Fine, Memento said, laying down under my chair. But I am a hunter. I do not appreciate me or mine being stalked.

"Good day, all. What can I do for you?" I asked, faking an oblivious grin.

"First, let us say it is great to have you back in the Realm. When Rythian told us you didn't arrive in Ruxomar with your brothers, we feared the worst." The sorcerer sitting next to me said, clearly preempting what the Head of the Board had wanted to start with. There were murmurs of agreement from those who had greeted me courteously.