The Releasing

In the days that followed Makoto's passing, she was in a trance. Just as everyone else had, she deeply mourned. However, her emotions were haywire, leading to a blank stare and not much talk from her. Mitsuru was first to take action in planning for his funeral. Eventually, most of them took part in the decisions. Where and when to have his tsuya*, funeral and cremation, and where to have him laid to rest. Every time the words were said, she felt herself weaken inside her heart. With every passing minute, she knew he was gone, but she remained in agony.

Nobody knew of any living relatives of his. It was known that his parents already passed. So they did their research on his public records and found they were buried at a temple fairly far from Iwatodai. Upon contacting the temple, they became in contact with a few of his relatives. Although having not known him well, they offered to be of assistance and attendance. And soon, within a short amount of time, the remaining S.E.E.S. members traveled with his corpse to the town where the temple was located. The trip was mostly filled with silence. Nothing much was said and nobody bothered to change that.

...

March 10th, 2010

Late Morning

Temple

...

Black. Everyone was dressed in black. Including Koromaru.

From their seats behind of what relatives did show up, Yukari could see his elaborate display. Thanks to the wealthy Kirijos, it was quite the show. The framing display was aligned in a flashy, golden shine. Dozens upon dozens of colorful flower arrangements, mostly of white lillies and carnations. In the middle of it all, laid his coffin with his framed portrait set atop. It was his school portrait, him in his school uniform with his common front on his face. It didn't do the true him justice.

Her mind was in a flurry. She could hardly pay attention as the priest did his shpeal. With her eyes glued onto Makoto's, he was all she thought about. Him and his unborn son she carried. She had told none but the other girls of the dorm of her state. Not even his relatives knew of the child. And they never will...

It was Fuuka who nudged her when it was time for the burning of the incense. With a blank stare, she lit them, watching deeply into the flames. The scent strongly carried with the rest, but she hardly took any mind. All she did was watch the flame burn further down the stick and the smoke rise into the air. The priest's words were only mumbles to her ears.

Once the end of the tsuya came around, everyone gave their condolences to one another. Some of his relatives talked to the S.E.E.S. members. Most thanked Mitsuru for her financial aid, but not all was directed towards her. The rest of them too got their deepest of prayers, despite their prying on what kind of friend he was. Many otained word on Yukari and his' relationship and surrounded her with both love and prying.

"How did the two of you get together?"

"What kind of lover was he?"

"It must be so hard to lose a lover at such a young age..."

"Did you two have intercourse? You better not have, young lady..."

Even after all those questions, she could hardly remember her responses, let alone most of the conversations. Some were accepting while others were disapproving and judging. It was fairly easy to tell who truly carried for him and who thought of him as a burden.

None of the relatives stayed for vigil, but considering her relationship with him, they welcomed her to, despite against tradition. This too was offered to the rest of S.E.E.S., but they declined for her. So, below the display she laid, looking up at the display from the ground. Light from the looming moon outside gleamed upon the golden frame of his portrait and water shined on the flowers.