Four Dreams

"Stupid. Stupid. Stupid." I scold myself as I drive to my grandma's place.

I sent Carol on a wild goose chase asking her to ring up costume rentals to find unicorn costumes on such short notice. While all this time, I knew just where to get them from. It's like turning your whole house upside down, only to realise that the glasses you were looking for have been on your head the entire time.

It takes me twenty minutes to drive to Grandma's. She lives on the outskirts of town, away from the hum-drum of urban life. Her neighbourhood is full of retirees like herself, who indulge in various hobbies to entertain themselves. One of these hobbies being stitching. Grandma's stitching club could dish out clothes in minimum time and maximum quality. We've told them so many times to start a business but none of them are ready to go commercial just yet.

I park in the driveway and sprint to the door. Two knocks later, Grandma opens the door and engulfs me in a bear hug. I wrap my arms around her petite frame. She smells of lavender as usual and surrounding her is an aura of safety for me. She reminds me of the childhood I've spent more in her house than my own, she reminds me of the bedtime stories she's recited to me while I was wrapped up in warm blankets, feeling the safest I've ever felt. Ever since I was a toddler, my Grandma has been my superhero, always having solutions to my problems, always finding the way out. And right now too, I know I can count on her to help me out.

"What brings you to your old grandmother now, Abigail?" She asks, and I don't waste a second in telling her about Anna and the world I was planning on creating for her.

Once I'm done, Grandma lets out a low whistle.

"Wow, that's something. Don't worry about the unicorn costumes. I'll round up the girls and we'll get it done. Just fetch us around 5 meters of purple cloth. Synthetic. And a whole lot of foam." She tells me.

"Already here." I reply, giving her a paper bag.

"Now that's a good girl. Okay, consider it done. Now remember, it's not going to be even close to those machine-made costumes you're used to seeing and wearing on Halloween and whatnot. We're old ladies, cut us some slack."

"I know you're not going to disappoint me, Grandma." I assure her.

She smiles at me and then says, "Okay, get out now, something tells me you don't have time for petty chit-chat."

I nod and hand her the sweatshirt I'm carrying. It's Daniel's and I give it to her so she has a reference for his size. I then bid her goodbye and leave for my house.

It's been an hour since I left Daniel and Carol when I reach home again. The moment I open the door, I'm swarmed by the mouth-watering smells of popcorn and sugar. Who knew the wacky combination of popcorn and cookies could actually smell so heavenly? Carol must have gotten the cookies perfect.

"Right on time." Carol announces as I step into the kitchen.

She's setting down a tray of cookies that are making me drool, on the island.

"Get that hungry gaze away. These are hot right now. Go help Daniel in the attic." She orders.

With a heavy heart, I manage to coax my feet to climb the stairs, away from the delicious looking and delicious smelling cookies that Carol is keeping away to cool before she's going to ice them.

When I step into the attic, I'm greeted by a sight I never thought I'd see.

My super-un-artistic boyfriend is wielding a brush dripping with purple paint and washing it in a jar full of water. With his furrowed brow and bit lip, he looks so cute. I walk towards him and plant a kiss on his cheek. He looks up in surprise and then relaxes when he realises it's me, before leaning forward and closing the distance between us.