Two Days

I'm greeted with a confused look from Daniel as I say that.

He pulls away slightly, not too much as I am still snuggled in his arms, but enough for him to look at me as he asks,

"Her world?"

"While I was talking to her today, I kind of randomly asked her what kind of world she dreamt of. She told me a few things. And I want her to live in that world, even if it's just for a day."

"What did she tell you?"

"She wants a world where nobody is upset. Everyone is smiling. And there are purple unicorns-"

Daniel chuckles as he pulls me closer to him. I end up sitting between his legs, completely wrapped up in him. I feel the walls that threatened to crush my heart breaking as I start to relax. He buries his face in the crook of my neck and asks,

"And from where, my dearest Abigail, are we going to get purple unicorns?"

"We could...dress up as them?" I suggest.

"Look," I start, turning around to face Daniel.

He looks confused when I break the embrace to do that.

"I really want to do this for her." I say earnestly, pouring all of my determination into my words.

Daniel looks into my eyes, his clear as the sky, sparkling blue eyes taking on a shade of seriousness as they stare into mine. My heart swells when he moves his hand to cup my face and opens his mouth to say,

"I know you do. And I'm with you, every step of the way. Whatever it takes, I'm with you, Abby. We'll do this for Anna, and we'll do this together. I promise you."

My throat clogs up with emotion at the last three words. Daniel isn't one to make too many promises and that's because he never breaks them.

Whenever he promises me something, I know I can rest assured that he'll never go back on his words.

I tackle him into a tight hug. He chuckles at my excitement before wrapping his arms around me as well. When we break away, he chuckles again before cupping my face with his hands and bringing his lips to mine.

My heart starts thumping the moment our lips touch. Tingling nerves, curling toes, blushing cheeks. The effect he has on me is still the same from the time we'd first kissed.

"Well then," He says after we pull away, "we have some work to do."

He gets up and moves to his desk. From there, he picks up a notepad and a pen and walks back. I again make myself comfortable, sitting between his legs, and take the pen and paper from him.

Removing the cap of the pen using my teeth, out of a stupid habit, I scribble on the first empty page I find:

"For Anna."

"So, what all do you have in mind?" Daniel asks and I start jotting down a list.

***

Harsh sunlight stings my eyelids. I grumble incoherently before opening my eyes by the tiniest bit. Through the squint, I catch sight of my dad opening the curtains in my room.

I pull the duvet over my head and curl up in it, trying my best to ward off the evil light from poisoning my sleepy body with consciousness.

I hear my dad chuckle before he says,

"Good morning, Abigail."

"Pretend I'm not up yet." I mumble against the pillow.

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that instead. Come on down. There's somebody here to see you."