Prologue

Dear Diary,

Well you're not really a diary. You're a piece of parchment this loony Professor gave out where I'm suppose to act like you're a diary for this stupid class Personal Studies. We have it once a month with our Head of House. Apparently it was introduced after the War, so people could talk about feelings and all that nonsense!

Professor Nott (a friend of my fathers) is looking over now so I guess I'll write about me.

I'm Lyra Narcissa Malfoy, 11 years old in my first year of Hogwarts. I like it so far, though I miss dad. And Hermione. Hermione is an old school nemisis of my dads you could say, but he gets along with her now. They even joke and laugh and go out for drinks together! Hermione has become a sort of childminder for me I suppose you could say (though I am far too old for one). After dad and mum split dad couldn't leave me wheb he went off to work, so some crummy nannys later, voila! Enter Hermione.

At least I get to see Albus, James and Teddy! Albus is in Slytherin like me, with Teddy in Hufflepuff and James in Gryffindor. They're brothers, though only I'm related to Teddy by blood. His parents passed sadly in the War and he never got to know them. But Harry and Ginny love him like their own and vica versa. Its sweet really.

I don't understand why I'm in Slytherin. No one likes me except Albus and Veronique (Uncle Blaise and his wifes daughter, who I have known pratically since birth) in my house, and I'm not sly, cunning or ambitious!

I just don't fit in.