Chapter 3

Draco waited until he was sure Hermione was asleep, before slowly getting one of the black cushions from behind him and putting it under Hermione's head, as he slid off the couch. Going to his bedroom closet he pulled out a warm blanket, which he lay over the sleeping witch. Clearing the mugs from the coffee table, Draco got dressed in a pair of navy jeans and proceeded to tidy the house, washing his dishes, putting a washing on, clearing up his room and living room and stopping at Lyra's bedroom for a moment. In her excitement to leave for Hogwarts she had left a small tornado of mess behind, which Draco smiled at. Lyra was terrible at clearing up her room, it felt to Draco like she hadn't left when he saw it. Closing her bedroom door he checked the time. It was noon, 2 hours since Hermione had arrived.

Sensing Hermione wouldn't have had breakfast in her saddened state, Draco set to work. Grabbing eggs, bacon and sausages from the fridge, and all the necessary things he'd need. After cracking 3 eggs into a small jug and whisking them, he bunged them in the microwave and turned the hob on the oven up high. Adding a dash of oil he placed the sausages and bacon into the large frying pan.

Hermione awoke to the smell of food. Sitting up and rubbing her eyes, she followed the smell to the kitchen, where Draco set the small table that he only used when it was just him and Lyra, or Hermione and Lyra. "I was just about to wake you," Draco said pulling a chair out for Hermione, who sat down giving him a small smile.

"I'm so sorry I fell asleep, you should have just woke me, I didn't want to intrude," Hermione replied, looking at the breakfast before her.

"Its safe to eat, I can cook you know," Draco joked, "And you didn't intrude. You needed to talk to someone. I know we may not be best friends or anything but I'm not the prick I was in school. I'm here if you need someone." Hermione, who had began eating her breakfast at this point, seemed to be lost in though for a moment.

"In Hogwarts, if someone had told me I was going to Draco Malfoy of all people when I'm upset, I would have thought them insane!" She giggled, but her smile didn't reach her eyes.

"I would have done the same," Draco grinned, "I'm glad though. You're not bad Granger, and you certainly deserve a hell of a lot better than Weasel."

"I'm not so sure about that," Hermione mumbled, her little smile gone.

"Come on Hermione. How has he got such a hold over you? What happened to the bushy haired, muggleborn witch, who was named the Brightest Witch of our age? Who stood up to a bully, and not even when I was cruel to you, but to your friend? The one who formed S.P.E.W and tried to make everyone protest for their rights? That Hermione Granger never would've let a man define her like this. You're not even together and he's still ruining your life," Draco said this softly, as kindly as could, but it didn't stop the tears that began falling silently down the brunettes face.

"He was my first love. My only love. When he finally said he felt the same, I was so happy. Finally it would be me and him. Then he proposed, and it felt like a dream. I was going to marry Ron Weasley, and have little red haired children. We'd be invited to a Weasley brunch every few weeks, and be part if a huge family." Whilst she spoke Hermione looked so content, before she continued, her face growing sour, "And then I find him in bed with Lavender! He blurted out in the argument that night that it had been going on for months, right under my nose. I felt so stupid, how could I not see it?" Tears were flowing freely as Hermione pushed away her half eaten breakfast and sobbed, putting her head in her heads. As Draco had already stated, they weren't exactly friends, but in that moment he wanted nothing more than to give Weasley a few choice jinxes. How could anyone lead a woman on , who had had out if his league, just to keep breaking her heart. He stood from his chair, and put a comforting arm around Hermione, for the second time that day.

After half an hour, Hermione had finally calmed down. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry, your entitled to being upset," Draco gave her a small smile which she returned. "I have to go out to get some shopping done. Do you want to come?"

"Are you sure I've not bothered you enough?" When Draco shook his head Hermione stood up, "I'd like to come then. I'd like to be with someone today."

10 minutes later they had apparated to Diagonal Alley, and went around the shops. The apothecary, where Draco got some ingredients that he was running low on; he liked to keep the house stocked with certain potions just as a precaution, Flourish and Blotts where Hermione bought herself several books, as well as Alice in Wonderland from the 'muggle' section, which she had promised to send Lyra, Weasleys Wizard Wheezes to say hello to George, and finally the Leaky Cauldron. Draco bought Hermione and himself lunch, as most of breakfast had went uneaten. Laughing and joking, Hermione was finally in a happy mood.

It was too good to last.

"Mione? What the hell are you doing with that ferret!" Ron shouted, marching over from the entrance.

"Keep your voice down Ronald! I may have lunch with whomever I like, you don't get to dictate that for me!" Hermione replied angrily.

Ron was about to fly out a nasty retort when Draco said calmly, "Look Weasel if you don't stop crashing our lunch date I'll have you thrown out." Draco, after refusing to stay in the same house as his mother and Astoria, years before had become close friends with Will, who had taken over the Leaky Cauldron from his father Tom, when he had stayed for 2 weeks until Astoria had announced she was pregnant with Lyra, and knew Will would happily escort Ron from the premises if he were bothering him and Hermione too much.

"Date? You're seeing Malfoy?! No way! He's a death eater Mione!" Ron practically screamed, gaining the attention of the rest of the pub.

"What I do with whom is none of your business, so leave me alone! You've done enough!" Hermione exclaimed, as Will came over and ordered Ron to leave as he was disturbing his customers. Once he was gone (with a loud slam of the door) Hermione turned to Draco. "Thank you, for sticking up for me."

"What are friends for?" Draco asked, not realising what he had said until he said it.

"You, Draco Malfoy want to be my friend?" Hermione asked.

"Well you've already cried on me twice, you don't do that with just any old bloke." Draco joked.

"Hmm well you've got me there," Hermione laughed, "He thinks we're dating now you know."

"Who cares what he thinks? You're pretty amazing, I'd be lucky to have a witch like you," Draco replied sincerely.

Hermione blushed.