Chapter 2

Draco looked at the tiny pile of work on his desk, wondering how he'd managed to get through most of it, when it was a weeks worth of folders to go through. Glacing at the time on his watch he groaned. It was 11 o'clock. Which meant he'd been in the office for 13 hours. No wonder he was done, he normally worked 6 hour shifts.

It had been like this since Lyra had started Hogwarts last month. He had tried his usual routine, but going home to the empty house killed him. It was too quiet, without his daughter and his maybe friend, Hermione. If someone had told Draco ar school that Hermione was going to be his daughters childminder, and he'd actually enjoy her company, he would've sent them in St Mungos direction. However, as strange as it was it was true. In fact he had thought of contacting Hermione, and inviting her for a drink once Lyra had left for school, but he decided against it. He didn't know how the bushy haired woman would take it, considering they only met up when she was taking care of Lyra.

Getting up, he grabbed his cloak and left for the main corridor and headed for the floo. "Malfoy Cottage!" And in a flash if green flames, the ministry was gone and Draco was standing in his living room fire place. In all technicality, Malfoy Cottage, was too large to be considered a cottage. It was a large, spacious, one floor house, with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. It had a large conservatory, overlooking a wooden patio which was filled with lovely garden furniture. It was also, surprisingly, a muggle home. While it had all the necessary magical things needed, after the war Draco felt the Manor held too many horrible memories, and after his mother had moved to Italy with her good friend Maria Zabini, he had the house destroyed. His ex-wife had been less than pleased, believing it was her right to have had a say. Not that she was really happy with much. She had left when Lyra was 6, not that Astoria was ever there much to begin with. Draco hadn't heard from her since, much to his relief.

Taking his shoes off, he went to his drinks cabinet and proceeded to pour himself a small measure of Firewhisky. Before he could sit down, he heard a tapping on his window, and once he'd opened it with a flick of his wand, he saw Blaise's regal owl fly in, and drop a letter on his chair. Rolling his eyes, he sat in his favourite plush armchair and opened the envelope.

Draco,

I know you've probably just got home - again! I know its strange without Lyra, its the same with Veronique, but overworking yourself isn't the answer. So as the amazing best friend I am, I spoke to Potter, who spoke to the Head of Magical Law Inforcement for you. You have a week off work. Get a hobby, find a girlfriend, whatever I don't care what you do, just don't work. Potter and I will be manning the fireplaces so don't think about sneaking in.

I'll see you Sunday.

Blaise

Draco grinned at the letter, even though he was slightly annoyed at what Blaise had done. He did have his best interest at heart. Screwing up the letter, he headed to his bedroom, stripped off his work robes, and slid into his pyjama bottoms. He fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

Draco woke up to his doorbell ringing repeatedly. Sleepily getting out of bed, he trudged to his front door, and surprisingly saw Hermione once he opened it. "I hope you don't mind me coming round, I just wanted to talk to someone." Hermione said in a quiet voice. Noticing her wilder than normal hair and her red eyes he stood aside.

"Of course not, come in. I'll just go put a t-shirt on. Go sit in the living room, I'll be right through." Draco replied, as Hermione done as he said. After throwing on the first clean top he could find, he went to the kitchen, and made himself a black coffee and a milky tea with no sugar for Hermione, which he brought through to the living room and placed on the coffee table in front of Hermione.

"Thank you. I'm sorry for barging over with no warning.I just didn't want to be alone." Hermione said gratefully, taking a small sip of her hot tea.

"Not at all, its been rather quiet around here without Lyra. I'm happy for the company. What's wrong? Draco asked. Hermione fiddled with a loose thread on her skirt.

"Ron was round yesterday." Hermione finally answered, and Draco's expression darkened. After working closely with Harry, and having Hermione look after Lyra, he had heard how Ron had been acting towards Hermione. After the Ministry Christmas party a few years ago, he asked Harry where the Ginger haired man had been, having not seen him with the rest of the Golden Trio for a long while. Once he'd heard what was happening, Draco instantly felt for Hermione, which was no a concept he was used too. But even he had to admit, that passion in her eyes, that she had had in school, whether she was telling him off or working on S.P.E.W, was gone. She didn't even have a proper job, before she had come to care for Lyra whilst he was working. She did have a job at a small wizarding school before, or so Draco was told. But a month after Hermione and Ron's engagement was called off after Ron being caught in bed with some blonde from Hogwarts, the little school went under and Hermione was laid off.

"What's he done now?" Draco said calmly, and Hermione retold the events of the previous night, before dissolving into tears. Draco sat silently next to her, and wrapped a comforting arm around her and Hermione fell into his lap. Slowly her sobs calmed, and her breathing slowed as she fell asleep in Draco's arms.