Chapter 5: The Golem

Sherlock is sitting in his armchair and you are sitting John's chair. John is upstairs asleep. Sherlock has the pink phone on the left arm of the chair and the both of you were watching TV. The picture showed a high rise block of flats and the headline reads, 12 Dead in Gas Explosion.

"Old block of flats. He certainly gets about." You said.
"Well, obviously I lost that round--although technically I did solve the case." Sherlock said as he picks up the remote and turns the TV on mute.

"He killed the old lady because she started to describe him. Just once, he put himself in the firing line." Sherlock said.
"What d'you mean?" You asked.
"Well, usually, he must stay above it all. He organizes these things but no-one ever has direct contact." He said. "Like the Connie Prince murder--he arranged that? So people come to him wanting their crimes fixed up, like booking a holiday?" You asked. "Novel." Sherlock replied, softly.

You turn back to the TV and see that it's now on the story about Raoul's arrest. "Huh." You said and jerked your finger towards the screen and Sherlock looks up and sees the story. "Taking his time this time." Sherlock said, staring back at the phone. You clear your throat uncomfortably and see Kenny on the screen holding his cat and looking out at the chaos outside.

"Anything on the Carl Powers case?" You asked him. "Nothing. All the living classmates check out spotless. No connection." Sherlock replied. "Maybe the killer was older than Carl?" You asked. "The thought had occurred." said Sherlock.
"So why's he doing this, then--playing this game with you? D'you think he wants to be caught?" You asked.
"I think he wants to be distracted." Sherlock said as he pressed his fingertips together in front of his mouth and smiling slightly.

You laugh, humorlessly, and get up from the chair and head towards the kitchen. "I hope you'll be very happy together." You sneered.

"Sorry, what?" Sherlock asked.

"There are lives at stake, Sherlock--actual human lives...do you care about that at all?" You asked.

"Will caring about them help save them?" He asked you, irritably.

"Nope." You said, popping the "p".

"Then I'll continue not to make that mistake." He said.

"And you find that easy, do you?" You asked, angrily.

"Yes, very. Is that news to you?" He asked you, annoyed.

"No." You reply bitterly.

The two of you lock eyes for a moment until Sherlock spoke up. "I've disappointed you." He said, and you could've sworn you heard a bit of sadness in his voice.

You smile angrily at him as you point at him sarcastically. "That's good--that's a good deduction." You said.
"Don't make people into hero's, (y/n). Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them." He said. The two of you continue to stare at each other, you were about to say something when suddenly the phone beeps. "Excellent!" He exclaimed.

At that moment you hear John coming down the stairs and enter the room as the phone sounds one short pip and one long one. "View of the Thames. South Bank somewhere between Southwark Bridge and Waterloo." Sherlock said as he reaches for his phone but you keep glaring at him.

"You and John can check the papers; I'll look online..." Sherlock said and he looks up and see that you are standing with your hands braced on the back of John's chair, giving him the death glare.

John looks between you and Sherlock wondering what happened, but knew it was bad because he has never seen you this angry with Sherlock. He starts to walk over to the sofa and sits down and look through the papers. "Oh, you're angry with me, so you won't help." Sherlock said.