Chapter 6: The Bruce-Partington Plans

You, the boys and Lestrade were back at the Hickman Gallery with Mrs Wenceslas. Sherlock was standing in front of the Vermeer painting, looking up information on his phone. "It's a fake. It has to be." He said. "The painting has been subjected to every test known to science." Wenceslas defended. Sherlock spins around and glares at her. "It's a very good fake, then. You know about this, don't you? This is you, isn't it?" Sherlock accused. Wenceslas turns to you and Lestrade looking exasperated.

"Inspector, Sergeant, my time is being wasted. Would you mind showing yourself and your friends out?" She asked as the pink phone rings. Sherlock snatches it from his pocket and switched it to speaker.
"The painting is a fake. It's a fake. That's why Woodbridge and Cairns were killed." He said but there was no response just the faint sound of breathing.
"Oh come one. Proving its just the detail. The painting is a fake. I've solved it. I've figured it out. It's a fake! That's the answer. That's why they were killed." Sherlock shouted as, again, no response.
Sherlock takes a deep breath to calm himself down and said. "Ok, I'll prove it. Give me time. Will you give me time?" He asked. After a moment a voice spoke:

"TEN."

Instantly Sherlock spins and looks at the painting as you gasped. "It's a kid. Oh, God, it's a kid!" You said in shock. "What did he say?" John asked. "Ten." Sherlock replied.

​​​​​​​"NINE."

​​​​​​​Sherlock narrows his eyes as he scans every inch of the painting. "It's a countdown. He's giving me time." Sherlock replied. "Jesus!" Lestrade exclaimed. "The painting is a fake, but how can I prove it? How? How?" Sherlock said.

​​​​​​​"EIGHT."

​​​​​​​Sherlock turns to Wenceslas and glares at her. "This kid will die. Tell me why the paintings a fake. Tell me!" Sherlock shouted. Wenceslas flinched and starts to say something but Sherlock holds his hands up to stop her. "No, shut up. Don't say anything. It only works if I figure it out." He said.

​​​​​​​"SEVEN."

​​​​​​​He turns back to the painting as you and John stand back. You wanted to help but you knew Sherlock would get angry if you interfered with him thinking. "Must be possible. Must be staring me in the face." Sherlock said to himself.

​​​​​​​"SIX."

​​​​​​​"Come on!" John said urgently under his breath. "Woodbridge knew, but how?" Sherlock asked.

​​​​​​​"FIVE."

​​​​​​​"It's speeding up!" Lestrade exclaimed. "Sherlock!" You and John said urgently. Sherlock gaze falls on three tiny white dots of paint in the night sky. His mouth falls open. "Oh!" He said.

​​​​​​​"FOUR."

​​​​​​​"In the planetarium! You heard it too! Oh that is brilliant! That is gorgeous!" He exclaimed as he turns and shoves the pink phone in John's hand, he walks away from the painting, grinning as he pulls out his own phone from his pocket.

​​​​​​​"THREE."

​​​​​​​"What's brilliant? What is?" John asked as Sherlock rapidly types on his phone. "This is beautiful. I love this!" He said.

​​​​​​​"TWO."

​​​​​​​"SHERLOCK!!" you and Lestrade shouted, furiously. Sherlock walks back, grabs the phone from John and yells. "The Van Buren Supernova!"