Chapter 44

Hope's P.O.V.
I walk the school halls thinking about Aunt Rebekah's words that she spoke last night. No, it doesn't seem possible. "I'm too young. It isn't the right time. Is it even possible? It can't be." Is all the things I tell myself to try and convince myself that I'm not pregnant. My heart thumps in my chest and beats loudly in my ears as I hear chatting in the crowded hallway of Mystic Falls High. I have two more periods that I have to endure, but I decide on not going.

I walk outside of the school and sit on the front steps and I take a deep breath to try and calm myself but nothing seems to be working. I begin to feel tears come to my eyes just thinking about the idea of being pregnant. No, I'm way too young! It's not my time, not now! I have my whole life sitting right in front of me and a baby is a lifetime commitment that is way too much for me right now. I take out my phone and quickly dial a number.

"Hope, sweetheart? Are you there?" Aunt Bekah's voice says on the other end of the phone, concerned since I called her and I haven't said anything yet.

"Aunt Bekah, I need you to come pick me up." I say, my voice extremely pained as tears continue to spill down my cheeks.

"What's wrong sweetheart? Do you want me to get your mother on the phone?" Aunt Bekah asks curiously, knowing by the tone of my voice that I'm already extremely upset.

"No. No please don't do that. Can you just please come pick me up from school?" I ask her as I wipe away my tears and sniffle my nose.

"Of course darling, I'll be there soon." Aunt Bekah says as we hang up the phone. I'm praying that Aunt Bekah isn't right because honestly, I have no idea what I'm going to do if I actually am pregnant. I really can't even think about that right now. It's way, way too much.

------------------

"What am I going to do Aunt Bex? What if I actually am pregnant? I have no idea what I'm going to do. How am I going to tell Kai? Can I even keep it? What are my parents going to think?" I ask Bekah all these questions as I pace my father's study in a tizzy, feeling completely overwhelmed by everything.

"You cannot stress about a pregnancy until you know that you're actually pregnant." Bekah says as she grabs my hand to stop my pacing.

"So what should I do? Take a pregnancy test? Go to the doctor? What should I do?" I ask her frantically as I feel my chest bounce up and down.

"I don't think a pharmaceutical pregnancy test is going to work. But I do have a trick that will help us in finding out." Bekah says as she goes over to her purse and grabs a lotus flower from it. I look at her curiously. "Back when my mother was alive, and she started getting the feeling that she may be with child, she always did this one spell to confirm it since back then it was the only surefire way to confirm if a woman was with child or not." Bex says as she goes over to a vase of flowers on my father's desk and empties the flowers so that there is just water in the vase.

"So, hold this lotus to your stomach..." Rebekah says as she hands me the lotus. I hold it in my shaky hands and place it against my stomach. Rebekah then tells me to recite a spell as I hold the flower to my stomach. "So, by doing this, your energy will flow into the lotus and then once you drop it into the water, a fire will ignite... And if fire changes to a reddish, pinkish flame, it means that you're with child." Rebekah says as she holds the vase in her hand.

"Are you sure this is going to work?" I ask her curiously unsure of the spell.

"My mother did it seven times, I think that it's more accurate than a modern day pregnancy test. The spirits of nature will not misguide you. And being with child is a natural occurrence even if your baby might be a little supernatural." Bekah laughs like it's some joke or something. I just look at her and take a deep breath.