The girl who cried wolf: Epilogue

Epilogue

(Luca’s POV)

     As I looked over at the house and saw Wyatt stood behind Mia, everything else was forgotten. The only thing that mattered now was getting her. No matter how fast I ran, it just didn’t seem to be fast enough. I felt as though I wasn’t moving at all. My heart sank as I watch a tear run down her cheek and Wyatt’s hands move to her head. I pushed myself harder to get to her but it wasn’t enough. With a quick jerk of his hands and loud snapping filled my ears and Mia’s lifeless body hit the ground. I felt my heart shatter into a million pieces, as her laid on the ground. My eyes slowly found their way back to Wyatt and my wolf took over. I leapt in the air and shifted. Just as I was about land on the porch a large ball of brilliant light burst out of Mia’s body blinding me and sending me flying back. I hit something hard before landing on the ground. Within the blink of an eye the light was gone. I opened my eyes but everything still seemed a little blurry. I rubbed my eyes and noticed that everyone else in the clearing was doing the same. The pack and hunters alike all seemed to be disorientated, I tried to get up but my legs felt weak. I looked over at the porch and saw Wyatt’s lifeless body leant up against the wall but Mia’s body was gone. Everything went quiet and I noticed that the hunters and rogues seemed to be retreating. A few of the well bodied pack members chased after them but us of them stayed where they were, still confused as to what just happened. Eventually I could feel the strength in legs return; I jumped onto my feet and raced for the porch. When I reached it there was no sign of her, was as though she was never there. I dropped to my knees, with my head in my hands for a moment before punching a whole in the porch. I heard a rush a footsteps coming up the steps behind me.

    “What happened?” Lucia asked.

    “Where’s Mia?” Faith asked.

    “Luca are you ok?” I heard Layla ask as she leant down beside me.

I slowly turned to face her with tears in my eyes.

    “That bastard killed and now she’s gone.” I said, anger dripping off my words.

A small sound caught my attention; I looked up at the trees in front of me and saw a snowy owl. There was something strange about this owl, it was looking straight me with light blue eyes. Eyes just like Mia’s. It nodded its head at me before fly into the distance. As I watched it fly away I felt something deep in my chest, like a heartbeat that was not my own. Something that told me deep down that Mia was out there somewhere. Something that told me she was alive.