Chapter 6

As I pull into the driveway, the first thing I notice is that there are a few cars missing from the last time I was here.

I tug down on my dress self-consciously. I wanted to look nice and I attempted this with a deep burgundy long sleeved dress, black tights, and my old combat boots. My hair has been left to its own devices and falls down my shoulders and back. I'd thrown a jacket on over the dress as an afterthought, remembering that it's below freezing in Aspen.

Fumbling with the soft material one last time, I knock on the door. The only reason I've even mustered up the courage to come is because West asked me to, and then he'd come to pull me out of a ditch in the middle of the night. I can't bring myself to say no.

The man himself answers the door this time, and he quickly pulls me into a gentle hug. I don't miss the way that his eyes linger briefly on my dress before quickly averting them. This observation sends a weird feeling through my body and I find myself blushing. He notices and tries to hide his smile.

Thank you, Noelle." he says sincerely. "I'm really glad you decided to come."

I nod, unable to say anything.

Like the previous time, everyone is already seated around the table. I recognize Eli, Jarod, Matt, Naomi and her girls, and Aeron, who glances up at me through dark, hooded eyes. His stare burns my skin, and I quickly look to Eli, who stands up as we come in.

I can see that he holds an unimaginable amount of knowledge behind his white hair and wrinkled skin. Something about him is warm and comforting. "Noelle, my dear. Thank you for joining us tonight. It has come to my attention that you did not receive the welcome you deserved last time we met, and for that we owe you an apology."

I feel my face burn at his words; my embarrassment rising as I realize that West must have said something. Eli seems to follow the direction of my thoughts. "Oh, no, dear. Do not worry. When something has been done wrong, we want to fix it if we can. All we ask is that you understand that stories circulate through town, and we've been made to look like many things over the years. Some of us not know how to receive you and so we acted out of hesitation. Regardless, it was not any way to treat a guest."

The elderly man watches me with intelligent eyes and I know that he had not thought badly about me from the beginning. He simply wants to make peace between his friends and me. Everyone else is clearly trying to be friendlier, except Aeron, who continues to watch me when he thinks I'm not looking.

I smile. "Thank you for having me over for dinner again. You have a beautiful home." At this, the tension in the room seems to dissipate, as though it has been holding its breath in anticipation of my response to the peace offering.

Everyone seems more at ease as they begin to eat the meal laid out before them.

West glances at me frequently during the meal, as if  to make sure that I am truly alright with everything. I find myself laughing at the stories being told and he seems to relax, smiling at me now and then.

After we're finished I move out into the living room with Naomi, who pulls me there by the arm. We sit down on the couch.

"So, how do you like Aspen?" She looks at me apologetically. "I'm sure you get that question a lot since you just moved here."

"I don't mind," I assure her. "It's grown on me. It's so different from home."

"West said you're from Pennsylvania. I have some friends there. I've heard it's beautiful but that the winters are just as nasty."

I laugh. "That's true. I don't miss that part. I've never been a fan of the cold."

"Well you're in luck, you moved somewhere with some pretty intense winters!" Naomi says, and I groan. "What made you decide to move here? Do you have relatives nearby?"

Movement from the corner of my eye has me looking up to see that Matt and West have moved into the doorway. West is watching me intently, his expression softening as I meet his dark eyes. His lips curl into a faint smile.

"I don't have any relatives," I say. "Nearby, that is. It's sort of complicated."

Naomi seems to catch on to my discomfort with the conversation, and quickly changes the subject. "Are we playing games tonight?"

Ava and Eliana run into the living room with high pitched squeals at the question, and go to pick out a game from the closet. A quick glance reveals that West is still watching me, and he holds my gaze for a moment.

"Will you play with us?" Naomi asks.

Eliana runs across the room, throwing her hands on my knees. "Yes! Play with us!" she says, bouncing on her feet.

I grin at her excitement. "What are you playing?"

•••

We end up playing a multitude of short games and I gradually find it easier and easier to relax. At one point, West drops down onto the carpet next to me and plays a few rounds. He sits close and at one point his fingers brush across my lower back as I let out a triumphant yell upon winning. Naomi and I high five, our heads thrown back in laughter. West is watching me with a look of wonder on his face, a small smile present.

As it grows later I know it is time to excuse myself. The girls throw their arms around my legs and I pat their heads with a chuckle. They are extremely sweet and I already love their company.

"Goodbye, Noelle. It was nice to see you again," Jarod says, giving me a firm nod. Matt follows suit. I wave at them and walk past West into the kitchen, knowing he will want to walk me out to the car. He follows closely behind me.

We step out into the cold evening and I pull open the car door. I turn to face West.

"They're different," he says.

I laugh, surprised. "Your friends? I like them. They didn't seem to mind me being there as much this time."

He looks away, seemingly lost in thought for a moment as his eyes lock on something far off in the distance, and I step forward, reaching up to wrap my arms around his neck in a hug. He stiffens in surprise but quickly returns my embrace, his arms wrapping tightly around my body.

We cling to each other for a few moments, something unspoken between us, and I feel a stab of sorrow shoot through my chest. He is everything I have ever wished for, and even if I could let down my guard enough to get involved, I could never have him. I can't imagine him seeing me as anything other than what I am: a girl in her early twenties who carries far too much baggage.

I have dreams, sometimes, of something like this. Of a place that feels like home, with people who want me to be there.

We cling to each other for one last moment before pulling apart. I keep my eyes lowered, not wanting him to see my tears. I begin to turn away, but his hand shoots out and gently grabs my chin, turning my face up towards his. After a moment of hesitation, I meet his eyes.

They watch me with a mixture of concern, and a question.

A question that I am not ready to answer because the answer holds something I am not ready to face.