Chapter 7

This week has flown by and I haven't seen West once. He called several days after the dinner at Eli's, but I haven't heard from him since and something about reaching out scares me. Despite this, things have gotten busy for me and this has helped to somewhat lift the anxiety I feel over the situation.

I began working part-time for Marta after she lost several of her employees; one to maternity leave and another to a move. It was Alexander who told me that Marta was hiring, and I decided to take the opportunity to make some extra money.

Marta was thrilled to have me on board and didn't conduct an interview, saying she was just so glad that it was me. Her face always lights up at the mention of Alexander and I'm beginning to wonder if there is something going on between them. The older man acts funny when talking about her too. I smile at the thought. They would make a cute couple.

"Noelle! Can you take the back tables?" Marta asks, speeding by me towards the kitchen. It's the lunch hour on a Saturday, and everyone seems to be out. I can't help but wonder how many of them are tourists.

I grab my order pad and take off towards the back only to freeze as I suddenly meet the dark eyes of Aeron. He sits alone at a table in the back corner, and once he locks his gaze on me it doesn't waver. I feel my stomach flutter but it's not a good feeling. Something about him makes me nervous. He hasn't said one word to me the few times I've seen him at Eli's, and from the dark expression he always has when he looks at me, I've just assumed he dislikes me.

Taking a deep breath, I regain my composure and approach the table.

"I don't believe we've had the chance to properly meet," he says, watching me intently. His voice fits the dark demeanor and appearance; black hair falls over his eyes conveniently hiding his full expression from me.

"Noelle," I say cautiously.

He sticks his hand out, and after a split second of hesitation I slip my hand in his. Long fingers wrap around mine. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Aeron."

I take a step back as though putting physical distance between us will lessen the tension. I've been getting far too mixed up with people and emotions lately, and this is an uncomfortable one for me.

"What can I get you?" I ask, trying to keep my voice light.

"I'll take a coffee."

"Anything else?"

"That's it." He's short and to the point. I get the impression that this is his personality and not just how he is when ordering coffee.

My attempts to get Marta to take out his order fail, and I find myself once again approaching his table. "Here you go," I say, setting the steaming mug down in front of him.

"Thank you."

I turn to head back to the kitchen when he suddenly speaks up, his voice pulling me back. "Noelle," he starts, his expression showing uncertainty for the first time. A noticeable crack in his stony demeanor. "There's a bar one town over that has a band come in every weekend. Would you go with me?"

His question surprises me, and I raise my eyebrows. I've never been one to hang out in bars, and really don't have any interest in changing that. I also don't understand why he's asking me to do something with him. "I don't drink."

His eyes draw together in confusion. "Why not?"

I search his face, wondering why my answer wasn't enough. "I just don't."

He stops at this, setting down his mug. "I understand. You could still come but just get something else. They have great dinners," he says. I stiffen at the word "dinner," as I don't want him to think of it as a date, and then he smiles.