Between The Lines

With my eyes still closed, I heard the sound of the rain falling on the tin roof and the howling of the wind as the nice sunny weather from yesterday turned gloomy today.

Bagay na bagay sa mood ko. Nag-effort, nasaktan, naiyak.

Forcing myself to get up from the bed, I vowed not to let myself wallow in self-pity and not to let Rich's words get the best of me.

"Wag ka na lang masaktan sa sinabi ni Rich. Totoo naman na mataba at maitim ka. And yung friendship nyo? Nagkataon lang na housemates kayo kaya nagkakausap kayo. In reality, officemates lang talaga kayo. Kaya Dei, act normal lang around him. Wag magpahalata na you got affected. Kaya mo yan!"

Smiling despite my hurt feelings, I took my towel and bath toiletries, psyching myself up to make this day a great one. I was about to enter the bathroom when a knock sounded on the door.

Hmm, aga yata ni Sam ngayon. May usapan ba kami na maagang aalis?

"Sandali lang, Sam!" I called out as I hurriedly opened the door.

"Hi Dei! Good morning! Gising na ba si Rich? May dala akong breakfast para sa inyo," Lanie greeted cheerfully as she stood on the other side of the door, holding a plastic bag in one hand from which the delicious smell of tapa and fried rice emanated while the other held a dripping wet umbrella.

Keeping the smile pasted on my face to hide my surprise, I let her in without saying anything. Taking a deep breath, I managed to say, "Katok ka lang dyan sa room nila ni Ryan. I'm sure he'll be out shortly. Ligo lang muna ako. Make yourself at home." I then rushed to the bathroom and locked the door.

I sighed in relief and gave myself a virtual pat on the back. You did well there, self. You did well.

I took my sweet time in the bath, trying to stay in until Lanie left. But suddenly, Ben knocked on the door. "Dei! May meeting ako ng 9am! Pwede pakibilisan? Tatlo na kami naghihintay dito, ihing-ihi na rin kami!"

Rushing to get dressed, I slipped on the bathroom floor and shouted out in pain. "Dei! Anong nangyari sa iyo?" The voice was Rich's to my surprise. Baka wala na si girlfriend kaya kunwari concerned.

"Ok lang ako, nadulas sa pagmamadali. I'll be out in 2 minutes," I answered back. O yan ha, walang kasign-sign of bitterness ang sagot ko! Good job ka talaga ngayon, self!

When I went out of the bathroom, three pairs of eyes were staring at me. Rich, Ryan and Ben were trying to assess if I was really fine or if they needed to bring me to the doctor. Hay salamat wala na si Lanie.

"Guys, ok lang ako. Pasensya din if medyo nagtagal sa pagligo ngayon. At since nagmamadali kayo, uuna na ako sa kwarto ko para makapagtapos mag-ayos," and I ran the short distance to my room. All the while, I felt Rich's eyes on me. Or baka feeling ko lang siguro yun? Tama, feeling mo lang yun.

Dressed and ready to go in 15minutes, I went out of my room and was about to leave when Rich called out to me. "Dei, di ka na kakain ng breakfast? Masarap yung dalang tapa ni Lanie, tinirhan ka talaga namin."

Without turning, I answered, "Ay sayang, nagmamadali na ako. Bibili na lang ako sa office ng breakfast. Thanks anyway." And I left immediately, not waiting for him to reply.

*****

On the evening of Rich's surprise party, Sam and I were busy cooking and setting up the table, respectively. Ben and Ryan were doing the heavy lifting, preparing the ice box for the drinks.

"Okay ka lang ba, Dei? Ilang araw ka nang medyo tahimik pag nandito sa bahay. May problema ba," Sam asked, truly concerned.

"Wala uy! Baka PMS lang sya. No reason to be worried," I assured her with a big smile. It seems I haven't been as successful at projecting a happy front. I need to do better, especially tonight.

After a few more minutes, we were done with the preparations and just in time as our few guests started to trickle in. Time to be sociable!

Sam sent an SMS to Lanie, telling her the party's about to start. We asked her help to keep Rich out of the house while we were preparing. Buti na rin lang nandito sya, kundi ako yung mauutusan nyan na ilabas si Rich. Useful din naman pala.

"Guys! Nasa gate na sila! Quiet muna tapos biglang sigaw ng Happy Birthday ha?" Sam reminded everyone. Giggles were soon hushed as everyone got ready for our surprise.

Footsteps and muted laughter were heard from the stairs. A few more seconds then the door opened and we shouted, "Happy birthday, Rich!" to the surprised look on Rich's face. Everyone rushed to greet the birthday boy who was still in shock with the surprise we gave him.

"Wow, di ko in-expect. Kayo talaga Sam! Salamat ha! First time ko nasorpresa. Thank you talaga," he exclaimed as he approached each of us, his housemates and hugged us. Did I just imagine it or was his hug longer when it was my turn?

I put the thought out of my mind as the party started and we became busy entertaining the guests. Soon, our guests were full with the food we served - spaghetti, grilled porkchop and roasted chicken. Finally, it was time to give our gift.

"Ryan, ikaw na magbigay ng gift ha? Tutal roommates naman kayo," I prompted. "Huh? Bakit ako? Ikaw na uy! Ikaw kaya bumili nyan,"  Ryan insisted. After arguing further, I gave in and stood up, clearing my throat to get everyone's attention.

"Syempre, pag may birthday celebration, hindi lang pagkain ang meron. Dapat may gifts din. For our birthday boy, Rich, eto ang gift naming mga housemates mo sa iyo." Rich stood up and took the small paper bag I gave him.

"Kayo talaga, gumastos na kayo sa pagkain, nag-abala pa kayo sa regalo," he said with a shy yet still cute smile. Cute? San galing yun Dei!

"O kung ayaw mo bawiin ko na lang," I teased back to the laughter of our friends. "Eto na nga, binubuksan na yung gift nyo sakin," he countered.

He took out the blue shirt with small red stripes and a Slapshock CD. "Uy! Ang galing nyo namang pumili ng regalo! Blue ang favorite ko na color tapos Slapshock ang paborito kong local rock band," he exclaimed in delight and hugged me.

"Si Dei namili nyan!" shouted Ryan, prompting the guests to tease us. "Uyyy, nagblush si Dei!" Ben followed it up to more raucuous laughter from the guests.

"Uy grabe kayo! Nandito girlfriend nyan, nakakahiya. Hello, Lanie!" I said then smiled and waved at her direction. "Saka for sure ang type nyan yung hindi maitim at mataba. Hindi ba, Rich?" I asked with an eyebrow raised at him.

Rich looked uncomfortable and just shrugged in answer.

"Okay! Yun iba namang magbibigay ng gifts! Baste, ikaw na muna!" Sam stood up and prompted the other guests.

The rest of the celebration passed by without any more interaction between Rich and I. We were starting to clean up when Rich pulled me towards the stairs outside our front door and asked, "May problema ba tayo?"

I pulled my arm back and rubbed it then answered him, "Wala naman akong alam; meron ba?"

"Ano yung comment mo kanina? Para namang sinasabi mo na sa itsura lang ako tumitingin," he replied.

"Hindi nga ba? Can you honestly tell me na magkakagusto ka sa babaeng hindi kagandahan? Na kagaya kong hindi maputi at mataba?" I challenged him.

He was opening his mouth in reply when Lanie opened the door and asked, "Oh, am I interrupting something?"

Perfect Timingजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें