[13] Unexpected

"Hello? Sino ito?" I asked my mystery caller. Rich looked at me, a curious look on his face.

"Gusto mo ipakausap sa akin? Tatakutin ko ba?" he mouthed at me. I shook my head and gave him a smile, telling him in my own way not to worry. I'm a big girl (BIG being the operative word); I can handle myself, thank you very much.

He nodded and moved to the side, giving me a little privacy to continue with the call.

"Hello Dei? This is Kim, yung batchmate mo nung college? Kim L., yung mahaba ang buhok and likes to dance in class? I hope you still remember me and I apologize for calling you out of the blue," he explained.

My brows furrowed as I tried to think who Kim was. After a few moments, it was as if a light bulb switched on and I vividly recalled him!
Shems! Sya yung makulit na kasama ko on a double-date with a friend!

"Um, yes, of course I still remember you! Ikaw yung kasama ni Jack when he and Me-An went out on a date. Tapos nagkataon na kasama din ako ni An that time; may plano palang hindi maganda yung dalawa sa atin," I grimaced as I thought of how awkward we both were when we realized we were being set up on a date.

An uncomfortable silence fell over the line.

"Wow, was the experience that bad na yun lang talaga ang unang naalala mo about me?"

Uh-oh. Me and my big mouth.

"Ah, hindi naman!" I tried to backpedal. "Yun kasi yung pinakamatagal natin na interaction. Sa class naman, we tend to stick with our own set of friends. About that day nga pala, sorry that I ran out on you guys ha? I really had to go to another class that time e. And thank you for paying for my lunch pala!" I answered with an awkward laugh.

"No problem. It was a double-date, I was the guy you're out with so dapat lang na ako ang nagbayad. Sa totoo lang--"

Cutting him off, I asked, "Are you calling to ask for An's number? Pasensya na ha, we're not in touch anymore. I can try to find someone who has it or you'd probably be better off trying to get it from someone else."

I heard him clear his throat over the line before he spoke. "Actually, Dei... I heard from Jack that you are in Cebu. It just so happens that I'll be in Cebu a week before Christmas. Tatanong ko lang sana if..."

"If?"

"Uh, if you would like to go out with me when I visit there?" he asked in a rush.

Stunned, I stood there speechless and unable to believe what I heard. Did I hear that right? Niyayaya nya akong lumabas kasama siya?

I looked around and tried to find if there were cameras being trained on me, sure as heck that this was a prank. As usual, when stumped for an answer, I used humor and sarcasm to delay my response.

"Wow ha! Sure ka ba na ako yung talagang tinatawagan mo? Dei Mendoza, 21 years of age, laking Maynila pero ngayon nasa Cebu na?"

"Oo naman! Kanina pa ako nagsasabi ng 'Dei' di ba? I really want to make up for that awkward date we had. I'm a fun guy to go out with pero medyo natameme ako nung lumabas tayo e," he admitted sheepishly.

"Huh? Bakit naman? Natakot ka sa itsura ko noh? Nasurprise ka na ako yung ka-date mo tapos di ka na nakapagsalita!" I answered with a laugh.