Chapter 5

"Is he gonna be okay!?" I my voice raised to an almost shout. The lady at the desk slides sideways on what I expect is a chair. I don't know, just standing on my tippy toes and I can barely see he top of the desk. The lady had black hair and glasses, seemed like the kind of person who wouldn't smile a lot.
She places her head into her folded hands with a bright smile, leaning over more than she probably needed to. Not that I was looking, but I could see down her white shirt.
"Your brother is going to be fine, Mabel!" She says confidently. She knew my name, this is like the twelfth time I've asked her within the two-hour span. I turn away, walking past the various families and what not. Gruncle Stan was reading a magazine, a small family was talking about names their new-born cousin, another couple looked like they had batter places to be and a weird man was trying to rip his nail from his finger he looked so nervous. I pace and pace, nothing better to do. Dipper was in the emergency-thingy in the hospital. Which meant that I couldn't see him or know anything about how he is. My face must be pale as ever right now, not just because the florescent light was shinning straight on me. Like a spotlight for a okay or something, but I felt like I just forgot all my lines.
Man I felt so sick, I might have to be in the hospital next.
A doctor slams the door open with gusto and says, "Will the Pines family please come in." I run at him full force, it's weird how much you want something less when it's so close to you then when it was far. Which I guess doesn't apply to this situation but you know, something to consider.
"Woah-" I finally realize the doctor had slowed me down. He was wearing a lab coat and a collared shirt and a tie underneath, which seemed a little excessive to me.
"Hi. I just wanna-"
"See your brother?" The doctor finishes as Gruncle Stan places his hairy hands on my shoulder. "I know kiddo but I have to talk to you two first."
"But I really-"
"Want to make sure he's okay?" He finishes again. "I know, but just a wait."
"Alright but i know him-"
"Better than anyone else?" He finishes again and let's out a small cough. "Yes but listen first."
"Kay." It was not kay. It was no-kay. I wanna see my brother now!
"He is very on-edge and has no memory of being attacked. Best if you steer clear of saying anything like that. Also he's really injured so don't h-"
"Hug him?" I finish. That's right, doctor man, two can play at that game. He raises an eyebrow, his hypocritical-ness showing through. I begin to walk, then walk a little faster right by him and down a hall. I can hear heavy shuffles behind me in the florescent hallway, clearly Gruncle Stan and the doctor we're both following me.
Problem was I had no idea where i was going.
"Left!" The doctor shouts as I slide to a stop and take off again. "No other left!" I reroute myself.
"Where's his room!?" I shout.
"Shush." The doctor points to a sign that said 'Please be quiet.' At leads it said please, I guess.
"Where to?" I say softer.
"Room 126." He points down the hall and I turn and swiftly push past all the nurses and skid to a hard stop as I end up in his room.
Dipper looks up from his book like I was just running into him at the supermarket or anything. He had more feeling in his eyes when he lost me at Walmart then he had right now.
"Dipper!" I shout in relief as I walk toward him. He had bandages lining everywhere and he was hooked up to an IV and one of those heart rate monitors. He was mostly cleaned up, he had a lollypop in his mouth and a cookie in his table. Sitting up, he still wore that dumb, uncaring expression on his dumb face after getting sent to the hospital for dumb reasons and-
"Dipper I'm so happy you're okay!" I feel tears in my eyes and I run to his side.
He doesn't say anything, just wiggles the stick around his mouth and smiles back.
"Well Kid I'm glad you're okay!" I hear Gruncle Stan finally say with a smile. "Glad we got everything straightened out."
Dipper, again, just lets out a solid nod and continuously glances down at his book. He does this all the time when I interrupt him while he's reading, he's hoping to continue with the plot but not look rude.
"Whatcha reading there?" I lean on his bed with both my hands and push down on his bed.
He picks up the book and taps on the cover with his pointer finger, not letting it leave his page. I study it, and by it I mean his hand. It's burned, pretty badly in the shape of a triangle I think. I mean, like shouldn't the doctors have noticed that? It looked pretty recent, I'm really confused.
"Cool!" I say with a smile, not saying anything about his hand. I didn't even bother with the title, who cares?
"So when when he be released?" Gruncle Stan asks.
"I'm not sure." The doctor scrolls down his clipboard.
"It's just that..." Gruncle Stan nervously rubs the top of his hand. "The kids are going home in a few weeks and I don't wanna send him back broken, you know?"
"He'll be fine in about a week, probably could go home with you in a few days if all goes well!"
"Yay!" I cheer out of turn and look at Dipper. "You here that Little Dipper!?"
He looks at me, smiles, and turns back to his book. I play with my hair, this sure was out of character. Not to mention awkward. This was nothing like Dipper would ever act.
"C-can I stay with him tonight!?" I almost shout. "Pretty please?"
"Probably." The doctor smiles softly. "It's pretty empty, but you have to let him sleep."
"I will I will I will." I nod and cross my heart and jump up and down and smile brightly.
Everything was gonna be okey-dokey!!