Chapter 10

"I thought you always asked for molten." Toni wiped her fingers on her napkin and licked off what she missed. They had stopped for wings on the way back to her apartment and she was just beginning to accept the accompanying high of that act.

Ted was guzzling wine from his glass and then wiping his nose with his napkin. "I'm just pretending." His voice vanished on the last word and she laughed happily, eyes sparkling and bright.

"You are quite a cartoon sometimes, Edward Wagner." She wiped her finger through the remaining crumbs and held it out to him. "Got the nerve?"

"To suck your finger? I am the champion, chicken wing, finger sucker of all time." He grabbed her hand and put her finger in his mouth. "Mmmn, bread these and add a little heat and you could open your own franchise." She pulled her hand away. The moment all of a sudden seemed too intense for her and she sat quietly... blushing. "Something wrong?"

"I- I don't know. Things seem to be moving a little fast here."

"You mean the finger franchise?"

She smiled weakly and shook her head. "No, this thing." She waved her finger back and forth between them. "I've never hurried into a relationship with anyone before and it's not comfortable for me."

"Can I get you a pillow?"

"Is everything a joke with you?" A little anger tinged the question.

"I'd rather laugh my way through life, Toni. I've had too many frowns as it is." He tossed his napkin in the empty container and stood from the table. He offered her some wine, which she refused, and then poured the rest into his glass. They stayed silent for a while and then he asked her about her life and for the next hour they traded stories, stories that didn't reveal too much but satisfied the curiosity each held for the other. Finally they finished the wine and the silence returned. Ted twisted his empty glass on the table and glanced across at her.

"I'm not trying to rush anything with you. If anything I'd like things to go a lot slower... it's more fun that way."

She gave him an annoyed look. "There you go again, everything is a joke."

"You know what, maybe you're right. Here I go again." He finished his wine, set the glass down and carried his dishes to the sink. "Thanks for the dinner and the company."

"Where- what are you doing?"

"Going."

"Why?"

"Why? Call it manners maybe. The lady is disturbed and I'm the disturber so I'm going."

"Ted I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound what I said like how you have taken it."

"Excuse me?" He had to smile.

"I can't even speak properly."

"I have that effect on beautiful women." Her eyes met his. "I know, there I go again. Well hell, in this deep I might as well try swimming." He walked back to the table and took her hands, pulling her up out of the chair.

"Toni, I kid a lot but this is no joke." He held her face and kissed her softly and long. When they broke apart he expected to be scolded but he could see she was simply staring at him.

"On a scale of ten?"

She blinked and then tilted up and kissed him back—hard.

******

Gerald Maxwell listened to his bank manager and after several interruptions he was assured that his money was protected and he would be issued a new card in a few days. Meanwhile he should avoid any purchases on credit on any of his other cards until a complete check had been done and the new card arrived. His own card was fine but since his wife's had been compromised it was the safest option.

Gerald agreed reluctantly, he was hoping to make some particular purchases on the card but now he couldn't take the chance. He'd have to go to the bank and get cash for his planned expenses. The manager closed with a vocal pat on the back to not let the terrible incident feed on him. Gerald assured him he was fine.

The fact that the stupid man that tried to stop the gunman had been shot dead in the face made the whole event that much more unnerving. Gerald had managed to keep his control and was even praised by the investigating officers for his calm, deliberate description of the event.

Arlene listened to Gerald's version of the manager's call and how she could use her specific store cards but not any of the other general cards. He told her about the six hundred dollar withdrawal recorded already from the branch downtown and that there may be more, a small ruse he added as an afterthought, but the bank covered it. Arlene shrugged and said she wasn't planning on any big purchases soon; she could wait for the replacement card.

"So I'll be attending the dinner meeting at the Grantly for the Crawford Sales account with Kevin tonight okay? I know it's a pain but these things are the fuel for all this." Gerald waved a hand about the extravagant setting of their very expensive home.

"Will you be staying over then?" Arlene patted her hair in place, leaning closer to the mirror to check for sneaky grey hairs. "Are you sure you're up to it still, after that terrible robbery?" She used a nail to sculpt the lipstick at the corner of her mouth.

He listened for deceit and finding none apparent, answered. "I'm fine. It wasn't pretty but I'm fine, darling. As to staying over, it's possible, even likely," he managed a long-suffering sigh. "Those Crawford guys are big drinkers. Like most salesmen I suppose."

Arlene caught his bland expression in the mirror. "Mmmn, yes. Well have a successful night and call if you get a chance. I'll be here with a good book and a drink of my own."

"You're precious, darling." He walked behind her and kissed her neck. "Well, I'd best be getting ready."

Arlene watched her husband of forty years jog up the stairs like an eager child. She walked through the hall to the sunroom and out to the back deck where she stood under the overhang and opened her cell phone.

"John, tonight after six-thirty." She hung up and hugged the phone to her chest.

Upstairs, Gerald shut the bathroom door and dialed a number. "Zeena? Gerald. I've booked a room at the hotel for after the meeting. I know, I know but you don't have to worry. Glen Crawford will be flying out tonight and Hal and Jeff are staying across town. We have the entire night. So am I. Bring that outfit. See you then." He hung up and opened the door, making sure Arlene wasn't around.