Chapter 12

Curtis drove distractedly as he hurried home. The man asking the questions at the bank absolutely fit the description Sandra had given as her abuser. How had he tracked her here? Where was he now? He watched mirror but couldn't make out any particular car following him and when he pulled into the apartment garage he stopped and got out, to see if anyone slowed or stopped, before driving to his space and running to the elevator.

Sandra listened with a growing fear as he described the events at the bank. If Gabe were at all suspicious of Curtis, he would track him down somehow. She made him swear that he'd replaced the money and that it couldn't be traced to either of them and then she began to examine her options.

"I think you're safe here," Curtis stated, wringing his hands.

"Don't be too sure. Gabe is quite capable of finding me if he really puts everything into it." Curtis was looking considerably less like her freedom ticket now. She went to the window and peered down at the street. Behind her she could hear him rummaging through his closet and when she turned she let out a small gasp. "Where did you get that?"

"I've had it for a long time... for protection." He waved the gun carelessly and Sandra stepped forward, taking it from his hand. "Good God, Curtis, this is loaded and the safety's off!"

He stared at her. "How do you know that?"

"I know guns, just trust me. This is not how to store a weapon, protection or not." She ejected the shells and slipped the safety on and pointed to it as she handed it back. "What are you planning to do with it?"

"It's for you, to keep him away." He held it out to her.

"Curtis this is a bad idea. Gabe has a gun as well and there could be too much chance of everybody getting hurt." She set the shells on the table.

"But he hurt you already!" He was marching around in little circles, his face getting red and his voice climbing.

"Hurt but not dead, Curtis."

"Well that will never happen as long as you're here with me." He puffed up and aimed the gun at the door.

"Maybe you should give that to me after all."

"No! I'll keep it. I'm going to protect you, Sandra. You just don't have to worry about Gabe any longer." She shivered involuntarily. You have a point there, Curtis; now I have to worry about you too. She held up her hands and moved toward him, one forced option needing to be acted on right away.

"Curtis you are so brave and maybe a little reckless but I feel safer already." Her hands gripped his arms and she pressed herself against him, speaking softly in his ear. She felt him relax and she let her hand slip down to his and slide the gun from his fingers. "We won't need this just now."

Her lips covered his and she could feel his entire body tremble as she slowly guided him across the room to the bedroom, her hands expertly unfastening his buttons and belt. Curtis groaned and allowed her to take over his being—which she did—and when it was over he could only react with a sob and tears.

******

Gabe sat in his car looking at the building where Curtis had entered. He'd laughed at the little jerk, running around and peeking out of the garage to check traffic. Sandra was one clever broad, latching onto a wimp like this guy, he conceded. The lobby had security cameras and the names of the tenants weren't listed, instead there was a code number, which obviously had to be specifically acquired from the occupant.

He knew he could probably get inside without much trouble but finding the right apartment was out of the question; he would need to confront Curtis Martin somewhere other than his home turf. He started the car and cruised down the street to a parking lot in front of a four store mini mall and parked. At the corner of the mall was a public telephone and Gabe climbed out of the car and headed straight for it.