September 23

Washington County News
Prosecutors won't seek death penalty in murder case

Prosecutors will not seek the death penalty in the criminal cases against two 18-year-old Washington men charged in connection with the fatal shooting of 19-year-old Alexis Barnett.

To pursue capital punishment, the "commonwealth has to be able to prove (certain factors) beyond a reasonable doubt, and in this case there's no evidence of any of those factors," Assistant District Attorney Jerry Moschetta said Friday following a formal arraignment for Jamaal Greene of Washington.

The formal arraignment for Greene's co-defendant, Tavian Hooper, also was planned for Friday but was reset for Sept. 23 because of a scheduling conflict.

Police allege Hooper and Greene targeted 25-year-old Ed during a May 4 shooting on Bruce Street in Washington. Instead, Barnett was shot in the back and died of her injuries at Washington Hospital. Her friend Jay was wounded in her lower leg.

Hooper, who police identified as the alleged shooter, is charged with criminal homicide, aggravated assault, reckless endangerment, a weapons violation, attempted homicide and conspiracy. Greene, who witnesses said was driving a small silver vehicle and dropped Hooper off near Bruce Street before the shooting, is charged with criminal homicide and conspiracy.

Ed, who testified against Hooper and Greene at a July 1 preliminary hearing, was since charged with aggravated assault and other offenses in a separate incident at a South Strabane Township hotel in which a 19-year-old woman was shot in the foot.

Ed allegedly told police he was trying to play Russian roulette and the .38-caliber revolver went off accidentally when he tried to reset the hammer with his finger on the trigger.

Source: observer reporter . Com